Archinect
anchor

LEED Accredited Architectural Designer in Europe?

2014March

I have educated in the US and I am currently working for an architectural firm in London, UK. I intend to go back to the US after gaining experiences in London. I am thinking about studying for LEED GA + AP. Do employers recognize LEED accredited designer in Europe? Are there any benefits in earning the certification?

Oct 6, 17 10:05 pm
randomised

Those certificates are a scam and a misrepresentation of what sustainability and energy efficiency etc. actually entail, solely invented for PR purposes in my opinion, the proof of the pudding remains in the eating.

Oct 7, 17 4:52 am  · 
 · 
archinine
LEED is absolutely PR more than legit sustainability. That said the cert can be great for one's own PR in landing a job. Likely that a more international firm will be most aware of the various versions - there's one for U.K., Europe etc all similar to LEED. It will be like an 'I'm american' stamp on your resume but it certainly can't hurt. It shows initiative and the more employees with it the more PR the firm has. The test is wildly easy and not particularly expensive. It may be difficult to maintain the credit requirements abroad however. If you plan to return stateside it's certainly a worthy investment for any future employment.
Oct 7, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I personally wouldn't like to work at a firm where appearance goes before substance, it is those firms that value PR over architecture that more often have a horrible office culture without teamspirit full of selfish personal PR-focused CV-building co-workers throwing each other under the buss etc.

Oct 8, 17 1:33 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

As far as I know, I think there are other sustainability rating systems that is more popular and more effective in Europe than LEED.  Looking at the changes to LEED v4 (from v2009) it looks like LEED is trying to take on some of the characteristics of the European programs.  However, it's still a rip off.  It may be worth it if you find a big firm abroad that does a lot of American work.  I'm on the fence about taking the exams because I certainly do not need any more continued ed to keep up with. Ugh.

Oct 8, 17 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: