Archinect
anchor

Career Help!

Hello folks, I am a young designer looking for some answers for my future. 

To keep it short and snappy. I studied design. BDes - Environmental Design and did a MA in Environment Design (Pretty much similar to what you study in architecture school).

But I've come to notice my passion for architecture, and that I want become an architect within the UK, and possibly becoming registered - not an interior designer nor spatial designer, etc. Thus, it led me to apply for various schools and get an architecture degree on top of my design degrees. Recently, I got an offer from the AA to do an MArch, but due to visa complications. I kindly had to reject the offer. And now, I'm job hunting (part 1 assistant) so I can stack up some experience before I possibly do an MArch. BUT! I am not getting anywhere, because even though I am confident enough in my knowledge and experience, because I don't have an architecture degree. 

So what can I do next? What are some things I should try? Any suggestions? 

Oct 6, 17 9:13 am
Non Sequitur

Perhaps your confidence does not equal the expected contribution a potential employer expects.  Keep in mind, all architecture students have heavy design education backgrounds so you're competing with equally qualified young designers who, unlike you, are likely to be able to put together construction docs and complete other professional tasks.

2cents worth: If an M.arch is not in the cards for the moment, look for small boutique offices.  The big guys won't have time.

Oct 6, 17 9:21 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Lol graduates can't put together a construction document for shit.

Oct 6, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I could as well as many of my colleagues. That being said... plenty can't.

Oct 6, 17 11:43 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I would love an architect who could just leave the most important features on a DWG, purge their shit and be able to understand how XYZ works....if a graduate could do that they get a job.

Oct 6, 17 11:50 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You have visa issues to study in the UK but no visa issues to get a job there?

Oct 6, 17 10:29 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Also, it's one thing to be confident about your architectural knowledge and experience, if that confidence is not backed up by your CV and portfolio it's not going to work is my guess.

Oct 6, 17 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: