Archinect
anchor

best are 5.0 study material?

G4tor

anybody studying for the are 5.0?

it seems that the material they have atm aren't up to par (according to reviews online). How are people studying for the 5.0? 

Oct 2, 17 12:34 pm
Smile of Fury

I am, using primary resources directly from the ARE 5.0 Handbook. Lots of discussion about this at the ARE 5 Community

The general consensus is the 3rd party material has been rushed out and isn't reliable at this point.

Oct 2, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

go check out arecoach. There's a ton of help there in a similar forum format. They often have some other resources that people have put together that is outside of the Kaplan/Ballast typical big books. There are a few recently licensed people answering questions there as well. 

Oct 2, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

you can use the same material used for 40. If you scan the ballast and kaplan (now brightwood) test questions and material, you will notice many of the same questions in 50 that are in 40. In a nut shell, its not like architecture has changed, they still test the samething they just reorganized the way they test it and to be honest made it just slightly more challenging by combining structs, building systems, and building design and constructions systems all into one exam of 120 questions. so now for a 100 questions you have no idea how much of which topic you will get. for example you could end up getting 20 structural questions which 15 of them are general structures and 5 are seismic, or you could get 15-20 building system questions exclusively on environmental factors

Oct 3, 17 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

"I am, using primary resources directly from the ARE 5.0 Handbook. Lots of discussion about this at the ARE 5 Community

The general consensus is the 3rd party material has been rushed out and isn't reliable at this point."

^ this. Use the primary resources listed in the handbook. Look at the forums and you'll start to see which ones to focus on more than others in your studying.

I bought the big Ballast review manual and it was fine as long as you supplemented it with other material, checked the errata online constantly, and questioned everything that seemed a little off ... not exactly something that made for quick studying. I feel sorry for those that don't have a solid foundation of knowledge from school or work and are trying to parse through that information. I probably personally submitted about 75-80% of the errors for PPD and PDD sections in the first months after the book was published. Near the end of PDD I gave up on it; I was wasting too much time submitting errors.

Oct 3, 17 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

1) Be proud that you make drafters like Mr. Curtis so pissed.
2)They've fixed 5.0 Ballast since the first release. I finished back in June, 5.0 is way better than 4.0. I wouldn't use 4.0 materials though because then you are guessing what's relevant. 

Oct 5, 17 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I used 4.0 and older materials. I sought out a lot of information outside of ballast and kaplan and read as much as I could. Read, read, read. You have to, as no one or two or even 6 sources will prepare you. Count on reading at least 15 books. You can use old materials if you adjust for the differences, 5.0 tests per chronology, whereas 4.0 tested per subject so adjust accordingly. Read till your eyes bleed and you'll be fine. Everything you read goes into one of two categories: 1. Things you already knew 2. New knowledge that is for your benefit that you are thankful for. You will be rewarded throughout the journey, enjoy. 

Oct 5, 17 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: