Archinect
anchor

Experience

Batoolalsayed
I'm an architecture student until now I been prepare my first project so I'd like to ask you to tell me about your first experience in architecture project

Sep 28, 17 1:08 am
randomised

Like so many first experiences it was awkward, scary, exciting and over before I knew it.

Sep 28, 17 2:43 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

I didn't even finish. 

Sep 28, 17 4:55 am  · 
 · 
ecnal

I got pretty drunk, and thing kind of got crazy... I woke up the next morning and had bits of balsa stuck all over my fingers, and some half baked ill-informed de-constructivist mess in front of me. Awkward.

Sep 28, 17 7:16 am  · 
 · 

On my first project - a kitchen / dining addition to a ranch house - the contractor disappeared in the middle of construction to take on a bigger project. It was impossible to get anyone to finish because they all assumed the first guy left after not getting paid.  

Sep 28, 17 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

First arch project was learning how to lay graphite (2mm 2H & 2B) and cross hatch with ink.  This was set during frosh... so it was a full week before we even had our first real class. Total time spend was up from 30hrs and you were given one of 4 grades: 100%, 50%, 0, or incomplete (inc meant you had only one chance to resubmit while a 50 or 0 gave you unlimited).  The following week we had to hand render with 2H graphite a photo realistic tabloid size section of concrete. Grading was the same as the first assignment. About 6 to 10 students drop out within that first week.

But hey... those 20-hours spent pressing the render button on sketchup is really hard.

Sep 28, 17 9:09 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

we had a materials class where we had to go out an reproduce a piece of anything , but as close to reality as possible - color pencils, graphite, a lot of overlaid textures - people in the streets looked at us like we were crazy.

Sep 28, 17 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

When I was 10, I taped about 100 sheets of paper together and drew a never-ending floor plan. 

Sep 28, 17 11:46 am  · 
 · 

Unless you made a Mobius strip it had two ends.

Sep 28, 17 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I never stopped taping sheets together, that was why it was never-ending. Like the song: This is the plan that never ends. It goes on and on my friend. Somebody started drawing it not knowing what it was and they'll continue drawing it forever just because this is the plan that never ends. It goes on and on my friend. Somebody started drawing it...

Sep 28, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

kudos to you, chickaletta for the song. Now it's in my head!

Sep 28, 17 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

sorry...

Sep 29, 17 4:17 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

In high school, each person in my history class was assigned a building in DC.  We had to build a model of our building and write a short history.  Then in class the teacher had a huge plan to scale of DC and we took turns putting our buildings on "the site" and standing back to discuss/look at how the city was growing up through the years.

Same teacher different history class, we had to "design" our own castle and develop a floor plan with each part labeled with the correct names and build a scale model.

Sep 28, 17 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: