Archinect
anchor

What are you reading (to your children)?

CCC242

I've got a seven-year-old daughter to whom I've been reading the TinTin - The Broken Ear. She really loves the TinTin series and we've completed around 17 of them together. Her interest in it was triggered by the animated movie Adventures of Tin Tin(2011), which we watched a year agoSince then, it has been only TinTin for her. I'm also reading the play Father Comes Home from the Wars by Suzan Parks. It is a play I wanted to introduce to him before Chekhov's. My twelve-year-old son has been extremely attentive, inquisitive, and empathetic in understanding the chains of slavery and the position of the Black Confederates. It also serves as a parallel and indirect source of learning history, apart from developing race-sensitive behavior.  

Apr 8, 21 4:02 am  · 
1  · 
eyeyoo

As a father of a toddler, I’ve discovered that there are some amazing architecture books available for kids! With that being said my favorite architectural book for children at the moment is Iggy Peck, Architect and a personalized book On A Journey Among Dinosaurs - a one-two bedtime reading combination.

Jul 27, 21 6:48 pm  · 
1  · 

Guess I should have posted this here...

Aug 9, 21 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I don't have kids but do have a former client who is a children's book author. This one paid for her whole-house renovation I designed: https://www.melissasweet.net/s....

And a close friend from high school's dad was one of the first superstar children's books authors and illustrators:  http://davidmcphailillustrations.com/index.html

Dec 12, 21 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Lately its non-stop Richard Scarry. One thing that I love/find morbidly hilarious now, though I don't remember noticing myself as a kid, is that so many scenes are pigs working at a deli counter/as butcher/eating their own kind...

Dec 19, 21 11:47 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Richard Scarry is awesome! Am reading my boys the exact same books I read as a kid, sometimes it pays off to have a hoarder for a mother :)

Dec 20, 21 7:00 am  · 
1  · 

I don't have kids but my buddy's kid loves this book

Nov 23, 22 1:37 pm  · 
1  · 
RValu100

Blueberries for Sal. Moral of the story: Your parents will abandon you in an empty field.

Dec 1, 22 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Children have to be taught that with a book. Pfft. My parents just abandoned me, no book needed.

Just kidding.  They read me the book then abandoned me. 

Dec 1, 22 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Classic! Currently reading alot of Clip-Clop and have recently read the first Bernstein Bear book or two..

Dec 3, 22 12:18 am  · 
 · 
CCC242

My son is 14 now, he has his own choices and I'm not reading for him anymore. But I'm still reading for my nine-year-old daughter which gives me immense joy. I'm reading The Last Straw by Zoe Matthiessen for her. It is a wonderful book that helps children understand environmental pollution and ecological problems in a basic and fun manner. Here is the premise - "Sippy, a plastic straw who was used once and then discarded, worries what will happen to him when he realizes he can’t be recycled. As he flies, floats, and flutters around the planet, he meets animals who are struggling with the plastic problem. He chats with a raccoon with a six-pack ring around his neck, a cardinal whose nest is made entirely of junk, turtles who confuse grocery bags with food, a hermit crab forced to live in a plastic cap, and a startled duck who runs around with a chip bag on her head. Finally, Sippy is swallowed by a hungry whale who is dining on ocean trash! Just when all hope seems lost, he skyrockets to freedom and calls out “Together we can fix this! Let’s clean our world–let’s try!” Amazing isn't it. 

The best part of reading for your children is how much you end up learning from it. After reading the stories of Sippy for my daughter and I put her to bed, I open my laptop to study more on ecological issues and conversation methods when I chanced upon this ecological concept - Climax community - "Over time, ecological communities undergo a process called succession. Simply by living in the region, the species present interact with their environment and effect changes on it. These changes in the environment, in turn, have an impact on the populations of species residing within it. The end of this chain of reactions (or succession) is the climax community. At this stage, all the existing species have struck a balance, among themselves and the environment, to become self-perpetuating. Barring the occurrence of a drastic change or imbalance, the climax community has the ability to go on indefinitely."

Crazy isn't it - the amazing stability and self-healing nature of the planet.

Feb 27, 23 10:42 am  · 
 · 
startstart

"25 stories for young children"

Jun 20, 23 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: