Archinect
anchor

4.5 Years of Experience : Portfolio Content?

thompson's gazelle

Hello, I'm currently thinking of moving to a different office, and wondering about my portfolio contents. 

I have about 4 years of experience after graduation, and my portfolio still looks like a recent graduate (I know that 4 years could arguably be pretty recent as well) focused on pretty diagrams / renderings mostly from my academic work, and some added pages of professional work that primarily show similar content.

Is this format of portfolio still valid for a designer with my level of experience? I see portfolio's of people who have 7~8 years of experience, and most of the time, it's just one or two final renderings / photographs per project, with a brief project description and their roles in the projects.

Can't decide which is a better option. It seems like the latter version is more suitable for people who have at least 15+ meaningful projects that could be represented, and is that true? I feel like I have less than five projects that I can say I've actually contributed to... so should I stick to my original format?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Sep 17, 17 11:04 pm
randomised

It's not the amount of years that matter, but what you've been doing all those years. If you've been stuck making diagrams and renderings all this time, you'll still be considered a recent graduate when you apply for a job. Just put in your portfolio the stuff you worked on and make the folio look awesome and professional.

Sep 18, 17 3:50 am  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

@randomised

Thanks for the input. What I'm concerned about is that due to the lack of labor at my current office, I've been taking on managerial roles from which I learned and grew a lot, but not necessarily visually representable in a portfolio format. Would this portion of my experience be expressed through interviews perhaps?

Sep 18, 17 5:08 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That's what you mention and highlight in your CV and motivation letters to the offices you apply to.

Sep 18, 17 5:36 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Thank you so much for asking this question, @ thompson's gazelle.  I'm in the same boat, where an opportunity has presented itself, and I'm having to put together a portfolio, but NO IDEA what to put in it.  I'm at 4 years experience, but what I've done is such a mixed bag because I work for a small boutique firm.  (I've done some reception stuff all the way through managing projects through design through construction.)  We have beautiful drawings, but we don't do any renderings (we have someone in house that does presentation drawings by hand) and we're just getting started with Revit/Rhino.  I'm afraid I won't be able to compete with anyone who is doing presentation renderings.

@thompson'sgazelle where did you find examples of professional portfolios?  I have searched a lot on issuu and just googled for at least an hour with little success.  Are there other portfolio websites?

Sep 18, 17 10:16 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Any office that puts people with 4 years experience on making computer renderings is dead in the water. You don't have to/shouldn't have to/shouldn't even want to compete with people like that but with people that handle projects, manage budgets, time, people etc. Interns, fresh grads and juniors can do the pretty pictures, you're supposed to get them built.

Sep 18, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

This is an excellent way to think about it! Thanks randomised! I've been so worried about having a portfolio that wasn't full of superficial stuff to catch the reviewer's eye.

Sep 18, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

I did try looking them up on issuu, but didn't really find what I needed--most of them being probably entry-level job applications or academic portfolios. I looked up my office's server and skimmed through past applicants' portfolios at different experience levels.

Sep 18, 17 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

I recently switched jobs with 4 years of experience between two firms. I put together a professional portfolio and brought some school stuff in a separate package. When I was interviewing everybody was surprisingly interested in both. For professional it was mix of renderings, drawings, and details that I specifically worked on. Goodluck

Sep 18, 17 10:24 am  · 
 · 

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently went through this exercise for an award submission. Here is what I put in:

Intro - About me, my design philosophy, my CV (my thesis project is integrated into this section since it informed a lot of my design philosophy)

Project - Last 5 years of work, this submission had 7 projects with a mix of graphics and text stating role, project size, project team, my specific responsibilities for each project.

Extras - pages showing what I do outside the office (volunteering/painting)

Sep 18, 17 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I only want to look at built stuff! and details.

Sep 19, 17 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

second that!

Sep 19, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

this is very helpful!

Sep 19, 17 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

If you bring me drawings and various illustrations to look over I will assume that's all you want to do. If you show me built stuff even smaller residential projects I automatically will assume you want and / or have aspirations to build projects.

Sep 19, 17 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

If you bring me drawings and various illustrations to look over I will assume that's all you want to do. If you show me built stuff even smaller residential projects I automatically will assume you want and / or have aspirations to build projects.

Sep 19, 17 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: