Archinect
anchor

Do studios employ admin workers?

joeuk

My day job after being OK with it, now will not let me drop the Thursday I need to do my studies. Ideally doing something low level in a studio would be fantastic but when I look there doesn't seem to be many options. Is this all kept in house? 

Basically because of my need to eat, I still need to work while I do my degree. Any ideas? 

Looks like MacDonalds will be getting an application form anytime soon. Unless anyone in and around Sheffield (UK) wants to take pity on a very organised 37 year old looking for 4 days a week. 

Sep 15, 17 8:06 am
archiwutm8

There is bound to be several admin roles for part time if you look on dezeen you may be lucky enough.

Sep 15, 17 10:07 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

Thank you. I did take a look, nothing in my area sadly. 

I wonder if KFC are hiring...

Sep 15, 17 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I worked minimum 25hrs/week part time retail for the first half of my undergrad then moved into mornings at a small local arch firm for the last 2years of the degree.   

Sep 15, 17 11:06 am  · 
 · 
corbismyhomeboy

I worked a mix of retail jobs, minimally during the school year but as much as I could do during the summers to make it easier during the year when I couldn't work as much.  My last year in school, I was able to land some teaching/research assistant positions and worked retail on top of that.  I wish I had done some interning, but there weren't really any firms near my school or in my hometown.

Sep 15, 17 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Nats

It was easier getting an admin job when practices used dyeline printers that had prints that needed folding and had real libraries that needed sorting. Now its all done on computer so there isn't much need for a general dogsbody anymore.

Sep 15, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Worked retail and as a cook during my bachelors, continued to work one day at an arch office to finish a project the first year of my masters, was a postal worker the last year or 2 of my masters and after graduation until I got an internship. Never was in contact with so much architecture as when I was a mailman, so there's a tip :)

Sep 15, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I worked in a window factory as a student. Still probably the best job I've ever had.

Sep 15, 17 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

I worked at a home improvement store - the one that lets you save big money.

Sep 15, 17 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I worked at Menards too, in high school. I was a cashier but wanted to work in a department. They said girls don't work in departments because you need a penis.

Sep 15, 17 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Still.. second best job ever.

Sep 15, 17 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

The Menards I worked at (I was in Building Materials) had a couple women in our department and many in other departments throughout the store. On the flip side, I did hear one woman was hired because she was "contractor friendly".

Sep 15, 17 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

To be fair, there were women are n departments bt only like 5. And I was only 16 so that prob why I wasnt in a department even though I wanted to be. But there were 16 year old makes in departments so....

Sep 15, 17 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Males*

Sep 15, 17 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm pretty sure I fell into the "contractor distracting" category.

Sep 15, 17 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

There used to be a construction cleaning service here that consisted of two cute girls in short shorts. Needless to say, production plummeted when they were on site. They had a clever name that I can't recall. I'm surprised there weren't any serious industrial accidents.

Sep 16, 17 9:45 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

I am not a job snob, I do a terrible job as it stands, but at 37, I might struggle to fit into the fast food culture. 

Sep 18, 17 3:48 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

About 12% of the employees at my firm are not design/construction personnel.  We have people who deal with shop drawings intake, marketing, reception, accounting/books, and specifications/contracts word processing. 

Sep 18, 17 8:04 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

If you are within travel distance of Sheffield, are you hiring? :-)

Sep 18, 17 8:47 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Everything is within travel distance of Sheffield

Sep 18, 17 10:06 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

If only...

Sep 18, 17 10:41 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

12 hour 40 minute commute. It could be done.

Sep 18, 17 11:00 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

Would my travel costs be included in my salary ? :-)

Sep 19, 17 3:44 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

Had some great news today. My employer has reconsidered and are now OK with me having Thursdays off each week. 

Result! But its also because im a steady 6/10 in my job, consistently! ;-)

Sep 19, 17 11:36 am  · 
 · 
dominiond

Not sure if you have a car, but have you considered being an Uber or Lyft driver? Flexible hours which could work around your studio schedule and you  get to know the city well... when I was at university (in the U.S), I worked as an executive assistant in the alumni relations department. It didn’t pay much, but paid my rent/bills and I got a break on tuition. Good luck with your job search and studies...

Jan 1, 18 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: