Archinect
anchor

Man and architecture in 2017

anett

Can Architecture have an impact on Man today? Can it change the world?

What shapes our world today in 2017? Maybe we should ask ourselves first: What/Who is the Man of 2017? His needs? His principles? His beliefs?  More than 1 million scientific researches have been done in the world's largest universities, which reveal many "secrets" about our humanity. What can we conclude? And how can one relate it to architecture?

What could be the architecture that affects or impacts on the Man of today and tomorrow / his present and future humanity? Can I be a better man because of an architectural impact? What if I want to change the world to be a better place for man in only one architectural/urban planning impact? What will it be?  

PS: Knowing that architecture is related to everything!  And a complete architect knows how to make the right mix between theory and practice. The architecture encompasses a whole world of knowledge.

Let’s put this knowledge into practice using the perfect tool:  Architecture

Sep 10, 17 6:57 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 9 Comments

Non Sequitur
Start by using architecture to cure cancer then see where It goes from there.
Sep 10, 17 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
curtkram

that doesn't sound very gender inclusive

Sep 10, 17 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
anett

hey curtkram!

i really meant by Man, every Human being. Wasn't targeting any gender in particularly, and thats why i wrote Man with a big M (as all Man kind).

Sep 10, 17 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Man technically means hand so it includes all genders.

Sep 10, 17 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

Saying "man" to refer to all people sounds like something my grandparents would say and then correct themselves. Using this term in this context sounds really dated.

Sep 10, 17 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

We should change words like maneuver, manufacture, and manipulate to please you less literate more aggressive, reactive types then. Or not. Just learn language. No need to get so offended then.

Sep 10, 17 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

pereuver, perufacture, peripulate...

Sep 10, 17 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

or we could all switch to latin now there was a language.

Sep 11, 17 7:05 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

in latin, everything is assigned a gender. I wonder if windows for example know they were assigned a feminine gender and how they feel about that. Maybe some windows identify with it and some don't. How do handle that?

Sep 11, 17 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Obviously the window has a responsibility to introduce itself with it's
pronouns

Sep 11, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The word man and woman both contain man, which means hand as tintt pointed out.  College kids these days need to smoke more weed and drink more and stop with the CNN style fake outrage.  

Sep 10, 17 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So valkh, when is the "thesis" due?

Sep 11, 17 3:29 am  · 
 · 
anett

hey ramdomised,

Sep 11, 17 5:15 am  · 
 · 
anett

i actually graduated from my master degree in architecture this past may, so no "thesis due"... only general discussion that interests me! 

Sep 11, 17 5:16 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah sorry, so you're unemployed and bored? Welcome!

Sep 11, 17 7:06 am  · 
 · 

Can Architecture have an impact on woman today? Can it change the world? What could be the architecture that affects or impacts on the woman of today and tomorrow / her present and future humanity? Can I be a better woman because of an architectural impact? What if I want to change the world to be a better place for woman in only one architectural/urban planning impact? What will it be?  

FTFY, and it's still totally gender non-specific.

Sep 11, 17 8:38 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Man is the root word... That's why is doesn't make sense when flipping it.

Sep 11, 17 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

So I'm not allowed to feel left out when you use man, but you DO feel left out when I use woman? Maybe our language could - it's a shocking concept, I know - *evolve* along with our society?!

Sep 11, 17 11:37 am  · 
 · 

https://twitter.com/manwhohasi...

Sep 11, 17 8:45 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

It refers to women. Chairman would be the male version of the title. Why is that an issue? I'm seriously trying to understand why denying our biological sex, and pretending not to notice it is good for society...?

Sep 11, 17 11:18 am  · 
 · 
choresi

I guess the pronoun "his" "him" is also "genderless" and refers to the whole of humanity.  Myopic views like this is what caused deaths of women and children when airbags were deployed because all the designers were men and designed it according to men's weight and height.  And they had absolutely no clue they were thinking that way.  Its just not even on their radar.  

Sep 11, 17 11:26 am  · 
 · 

Exactly, choresi. Or the new Autodesk Immersive Visualization tool that most likely doesn't include testing on women, who mentally process space using a different visual emphasis than do males, which is why women tend to get more nauseous in immersive reality than males do. But when all the engineers are male, the default option is the male experience. (If anyone from Autodesk wants to explain that I'm wrong here I welcome it.)

Sep 11, 17 11:41 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Never heard of the airbag example, but it sounds like a really dumb design move. But this is exactly why we shouldn't obscure sex with generic titles. Males and females are different. I am 100% in support of equal treatment and pay and all that...but that can happen while saying mailman and mail women without having to use sex-neutral terms like bipedal mail creatures.

Sep 11, 17 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
choresi

I thinķ you're missing the whole point. The very fact that the OP has used exclusionary language (and not just in his use of "man" but his entire paragraph) already displays his halfsighted tendency to just think about the topic according to his limited world view. The fact that he's u
naware of it and is dismissive of it, further exacerbate that tendency. It's easy to say that the airbag thing is diotic now, since hindsight is 20/20, much harder to detect in present moment

Sep 11, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Jiro dreams of Sushi

A film about a master sushi chef in Tokyo. He customizes service according to gender and handedness, among other things.

Sep 11, 17 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't know. I'm just a huwoman, trying to make it. 

Sep 11, 17 11:58 am  · 
 · 
randomised

This came up on my FB feed:

Fifteen years ago, you could not help but notice the absence of women in the leadership teams of important flagship projects in the UK. Five years ago, women and their colleagues started talking more about their experiences and two years ago, the Bartlett started to provide critical reflection on large scale national project ‘systems’ - government, industry, professional bodies, project leaders - to ask the question collectively; “where are the women in major projects leadership in the UK?” The objectives of this research are to: (1) Analyse and evaluate the current theoretical frameworks which are intended to explain the gender imbalance in major projects leadership; (2) Evaluate the effectiveness of current organizational strategies and practices employed to improve gender balance; (3) Consolidate a ‘learning community’ through a longitudinal, participative action research consortium with major project enterprise partners; (4) Track and monitor progress of organizational strategies through the establishment of inter-organisational learning set benchmarks, and contributing intra-organisational research insights in order to adapt strategies over time; (5) To identify & share the most effective strategies and practices for improving gender balance in organisations, projects enterprises and the ‘whole system’.

Please submit applications to Dr Colin Marx ([email protected]), Director of DPU’s PhD Programme, in the following format: • A CV, including full details of all University course grades to date. • Contact details for two academic or professional referees (at least one academic). • A personal statement (750 words maximum) outlining (i) your suitability for the project with reference to the description in the person specification, (ii) what you hope to achieve from the PhD and (iii) your research experience to-date.

Applications must also be accompanied by an online application to be enrolled on the Bartlett Planning Development Unit PhD programme. Go to the online application page to make an application: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/…/degrees/development-planning-mphilphd

STUDY START DATE: 25 September 2017.

Kind regards Colin

Colin Marx| Senior Lecturer and PhD Programme Director | The Bartlett Development Planning Unit

Sep 11, 17 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: