Archinect
anchor

How can an MBA that loves architecture get into the field?

AlldayAP

Hello everyone! 

I am a 32 year old MBA with a background in people Management, fundraising, negotiation and operations management at major silicon valley tech companies.  I have always loved architecture and regret not getting into it.  I never pursued it very far as I considered myself bad at drawing and would never be a quality architect.

Do you all have any ideas for someone like myself to get into/near the field in a way that adds value? What jobs come to mind as a suggestion for me to pursue?  Is there a need at any level for skills like mine? 

I am hoping to learn some ideas I haven't thought of in the field and would be open to any suggestions you have so I can begin to pivot my career towards something I am more passionate about.

Sep 7, 17 11:02 am
senjohnblutarsky

Architects are notoriously bad business managers.  You could fill that role.  But don't expect to get to do anything related to Architecture.  You'll spend half your time dealing with invoices, payroll, chasing down non-paying clients, Insurance issues, etc.

Sep 7, 17 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Project management, perhaps...

They crank out fresh proj-man grads after only 2 college semesters in my area and these folks known nothing about anything. Figured, with  an MBA, you can't be worse.

Sep 7, 17 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Buy an architectural firm. 

Sep 7, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Why don't you just build your own projects? Flip houses, rehab old apartments ect. The vast majority of the architect job is drafting handicap accessible toilet stalls, only a few truly interesting projects your entire career. Trust me, figure out how to just do your own projects.

Sep 7, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Real estate development
Sep 7, 17 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I'm with archinine... get in on the development side and hire architects/design team/contractors.

Sep 7, 17 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

If you like being frustrated and want to develop a hatred of everyone around you...  A severely cynical outlook on life... A desire to throw babies into wood-chippers....  

Without a solid background in design or construction though.... at age 32 ..... unless you really want to work for $8 an hour and enjoy being dumped on for another 20 years.... perhaps your'e a masochist ... then you will be very happy.  Better off quietly moving back towards where you were before the delusions kicked in.  

Sep 7, 17 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

If youre not proficient in Revit then youre worthless to the industry. Doesnt matter how much experience you have construction documentation, codes, zoning....

If you want access to lower echelons of the 'architecture' industry learn Revit well. Why you'd want to be chained to a computer all day to make toilet details, and handicap access routes is your prerogative...

If you want to access to the upper echelons of 'architecture', bring the clients with money to the table, or bring the capital to the table yourself for projects.

The industry is loaded with cocky narcissist indoctrinated to do 'what you love for the passion', willing to work little to nothing, for the magnanimous title...'architect'.

Get down on your knees folks....(drum roll plz) here comes the might 'architect'!

It's just magical to be one!

Sep 7, 17 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

LOL    SO effing true.

BRING ON THE REVIT-TARDS !!!!!!!!

Sep 7, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: