Archinect
anchor

What is this style called?

MidCentury

Hello - Just a fan of you men and women who create order out of chaos. Could you tell me what style this house is called? Ranch? Rambler? 

Built in the late 60s, Pacific Northwest. Also any thought on how to improve or modernize the front exterior? Thank you. 

Sep 6, 17 3:15 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 20 Comments

Non Sequitur

Let me guess.... you're a realtor looking to spice up a listing?

Who cares about the "style" categorization. It's an overpriced mid-century single family suburban shed.

Also, design consultation starts at $300 per hour.

Sep 6, 17 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Garage-door rambler.

Demo the garage.

Sep 6, 17 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

oh, I know that style, we studied it in school, it's called "cheap developer cookie cutter", fairly popular with the peasants in the mid-1900's

Sep 6, 17 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
proto

we thought about getting one of those metal signs you can put in your yard indicating its a historic property with the date & style of the home

"1921 - classic beater"

Sep 6, 17 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Style = Post-war Suburban Tract Home

Update suggestion = put a front porch on it

Sep 6, 17 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm gonna bet our fan loses some admiration for us.

(Most production houses are a hodgepodge of different pieces that are rarely well-composed.  So it's not possible to easily apply a neat label as you could to a true example of this or that style.  Ranch or Rambler is as good as anything else in this case.)

Sep 6, 17 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Realtor Link

You're all welcome

Sep 6, 17 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

$750K........ OMG

Sep 6, 17 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Was not expecting 5 bedrooms behind that tiny facade.

Sep 6, 17 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sharp! Nice find...

Sep 6, 17 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
citizen

(rubbing hands together) ... and now to join in the snark!

"Driveway Bungle, Oh!"

Sep 6, 17 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Gold star to Chris!

Sep 6, 17 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

You could improve the appearance of that house by having a bikini-clad babe washing a Ferrari 275 GT parked in the driveway. 

That will be $350, please.

Sep 6, 17 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Or a middle-aged former model vacuuming out a Subaru in a tube top and culottes.

Sep 6, 17 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Paint it matte black with yellow accents.

Sep 6, 17 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Vanta black

Sep 6, 17 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Its called shit.

Sep 6, 17 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

It's a ranch.

But here is a real pro-tip, because on this forum we bat around "What style is this?" posts like kittens do balls of string: The path leading to the garage is for cars. The path leading to the front door is for humans. The two should never be the same thing.

Find a local architect to help you. The Seattle AIAis a good place to start.  You should be able to call them or poke around on their site and find names of architects who specialize in residential remodel. DON'T bother calling the firms who do hospitals and college buildings and skyscrapers - they are too busy right now and can't make a profit on residential remodel work anyway. You want someone small. 

Good luck!

Sep 6, 17 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Lovely metaphor.

Sep 7, 17 8:38 am  · 
 · 

snout house

Sep 6, 17 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Cannot believe the price of this Seattle house. Here are front and back views of a $625,000 for sale house in my little burg in the Shenandoah Valley.

Sep 7, 17 8:06 am  · 
 · 
tduds

20 minute Bike ride to my $150k Amazon job vs. 2 hour drive to my $60k gov't job.

Sep 7, 17 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Is that a dunce cap? Who chopped off the right side of the gable? Those shutters look like frida kahlos eyebrows! ... Water looks nice...

Sep 8, 17 12:02 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Just looked through the links.  For that price they should fix that sagging front gate (which I'm sure was installed by a previous owner to keep dogs in). 

The whole interior looks like someone just hit up random Lowes/Home Depot sales over the years and crammed it all together.

All that house, and all it gives to the street is a damn garage. 

Sep 7, 17 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

A project for' Construction of a Bungalow with Outhouse' was sent to the Finance wing for expeditious approval. The file came back promptly with the observation,' Not agreed. A Bungalow without House is inconceivable.

Sep 7, 17 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Looking through the real estate listing agin and JEEZUS EFFING CHRISTMAS ON A CRACKER WHO DOES THIS?!?!?!

WHO puts faux-raised panel arch-top woodgrain cabinet doors in a ranch house with this awesome little MCM fireplace surround?!?!  Good lord our US educational system has done a shitty job teaching even the most basic level of art appreciation in this society.

i need a drink

Sep 7, 17 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Well, be careful if you're drinking at that breakfast bar... one spill and they will need a new shitty carpet... Shit laminate in the kitchen, shit carpet everywhere else. That'll be 3/4 million please.

Sep 7, 17 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

It's bad. It's all bad. Hurts.

Sep 7, 17 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

Brokers in particular are blind to everything except money. Then again so is most of the population of the US. And yes, it hurts. No craft, no pride, no heart - only cash, and as much as you can grab.

Sep 7, 17 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

1.why is there an opening over a stair? 2.why are cabinets hanging on said opening? 3. why are cabinet doors facing said stair?

Sep 8, 17 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

JLC, probably because the intern built a faulty BIM cabinet family which added a wall opening to the host. 8-)

Sep 8, 17 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Call it a Fixer-Upper. Or Scraper.

Sep 7, 17 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Teardown. 

Sep 7, 17 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Client: we want to open it up, take out the interior wall, raise the ceiling.

Architect: you want to tear it down?

Client: open it up

Architect:...

Client:...

Architect: how much money you got?

Client: flip this house!

Architect...

Client...

Architect...wat?

Client: how much?

Architect (quotes realistic price)

Client: I WAT to OPEN UP and FLIP this house!

Arch: quotes go away price

Client: *mad*

Arch: you mad bro?

Sep 8, 17 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: