Archinect
anchor

Louisiana French Colonial Architecture

Volunteer

A lot of the French plantation houses in Louisiana in the 1800s were designed with the expectation that the lower story would be flooded at certain times no matter what. They put the kitchen and utility rooms on the lower floor and had the living rooms and bedrooms and high value furniture and objects on the second floor.

Sep 2, 17 9:21 am
archanonymous

Regional modernism somehow became a dirty word and seemingly fell out of favor from 2012 onwards, but some schools still teach this pedagogy.

http://tulaneurbanbuild.com/in...

11 years of projects - they all respond to the ultimate flood plane in New Orleans - sea level. Those that are multiple levels use the parti you referenced above - low value rooms on the ground floor, high-value rooms on the top.

Sep 2, 17 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

When the River Oaks area of Houston was developed in the 20s the residents were required to build in either Georgian or Tudor styles. No French Colonial allowed, apparently. Seems like it would have saved a lot of grief in many instances and would have reflected the culture of the area better. A lot of these French Colonial homes have porches around two, three, or even all four sides and are not as big as they seem at first glance. The relatively new homes in that style seem very attractive. (To me at least). You would think that regional elements would be taught in all schools, whether interpreted in a traditional or modern format.

Sep 3, 17 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I imagine the cost difference, if any, would depend on a host of factors. Should not be much different than building a center-hall colonial I would think. Probably cheaper than building the ranch house or colonial once and substantially again after a flood, though. In any case homes in the River Oaks section of Houston start at $1 million. Or did before the flood.

Sep 3, 17 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: