Archinect
anchor

Jump starting my return to architecture profession. Advice?

Architechnically

Quick back story. I graduated in 2010 and took a job for about a year before layoffs hit hard. Not long after I got a job doing structural modeling/drafting for the large scale industrial engineering industry. Did that for 5 years (pay was much better than entry level intern) before recently returning to architecture profession. 

What is something I can do to jump start my career? I took and passed an ARE 5.0 exam and am continuing to study, but I have limited real world experience. Because of the work my firm does, it's a lot of prototypes and quick turnaround, I'll never get the full start to finish experience of a true architecture project. I guess I'm concerned with how to prepare myself for eventually looking elsewhere.

Aug 31, 17 4:10 pm
corbismyhomeboy

I think you just start looking and see what fits your skills and interests.  See what professional/school/outside work you've done that can be built into a portfolio that is actually representative of your skills.  But because you have limited experience, you will probably have to start by taking an entry level position until you have enough experience to move up.  It helps that you have so much modeling and drafting experience, given that your experience is in an architecturally relevant software like CAD, ArchiCAD, Revit, etc.,  I would play that to my advantage and emphasize in cover letters and interviews that you want a license, but also to learn about the process while being a part of a team.  Think about how you are different than someone just coming out of school - which is who you'll be competing against for an entry level position.

If you need AXP hours, look into logging in the "O" category until you can secure a job under a licensed architect.  I know they used to allow volunteer activities like working with Habitat to count under that but maybe that is something else to look into.  Personally, I wouldn't jump into AREs until you have some professional experience.  It's way easier to study once you have some experience under your belt and can understand a little more easily what you're looking at and how it works in practice.

Sep 1, 17 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

The red lead is positive and goes to the (+) terminal. The black lead is ground. Do not cross the leads.

Sep 1, 17 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Jump start lol. In possibly the crappiest profession of all. Most people will want you to "pay the dues" like they might have done. If you are serious about it, join a firm at a junior level, and then go from there. No jumpstart possible, sorry.
Sep 3, 17 12:50 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
With the attitude you have (i.e., trying to better yourself, and being pro-active) honestly that's about 75% of what I look for in an entry level candidate anyway, so you're already most of the way there ;-) Good on you, to come here and ask. And don't feel weird about being out of the industry--if anything it might differentiate you from other candidates. Also, never feel bad about doing something that makes sense from an economic standpoint. Architecture is just a job, like any other, and you SHOULD always have your personal economic interests at heart -- shows you have a brain and are pragmatic.

For suggestion: if you don't already know Revit I would enroll in a quick community college course. That's one thing that will lower the barrier for a firm that's considering you against a candidate with a more conventional work history.
Sep 3, 17 1:24 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Isn't a jump start simply a way to get the engine going again after you ran out of juice and to continue your journey from where you left of? Doesn't have anything to do with not wanting to pay your dues or taking a short cut, am I right ?

Sep 3, 17 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: