Archinect
anchor

NY State Law Clarification

archny7979

I'm trying to get some clarification on NY state law and architects.

I hired someone who on their website they describe themselves as an architect.

On our contract next to their signature line the title reads: Architect

This person however is not licensed. I'm reading they are not in fact then an architect. Is that true?

Working with this individual, the person told me that they work with another licensed architect, who has their own separate company. That person would review their drawings and stamp them. Is that legal? I'm also reading about something called "rubber stamping". Is that what it is?

Trying to get out of my contract with this individual as it all seems a bit suspicious.

Aug 31, 17 1:57 pm
Non Sequitur

It is likely that this individual is producing documents and asking a friend to stamp them for permit. Not technically illegal, but please remember that the fee you're paying your draftsman does not cover the professional liability or licensure costs of the supposedly properly licensed 3rd party architect.

Regardless, you should be working directly with architect who's stamp in on the documents. Bow-out of your current agreement since it was signed fraudulently (ie. not by an architect) and hire someone else. Feel free to report that individual to the licensing board too.

Aug 31, 17 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

You know what's illegal: representing himself as an architect without a license.

Also, godspeed, I haven't seen a NYC designer who has a clue how to get through code and permitting here.

Aug 31, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Yes it is illegal for the draftsman/designer person to sign anything with the title 'architect'. Expect delays and additional costs down the line when this person is both unable to produce proper drawings the actual architect will need to correct and when you cannot hold this person legally accountable for any permitting/construction problems.

Heed others' advice here and find yourself an actual architect and report this fraud to the state.
Aug 31, 17 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Hire me and i can get your projects approved as I am a licensed architect. PM me for my fees. Thanks!

Sep 1, 17 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

you mean "Do not call" list.

Sep 1, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Just make sure that you let the buildings doorman know that he is coming...

Sep 1, 17 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: