Archinect
anchor

Movement in Architecture

rroxxy27

Hello,

My question to the experienced ones is : is there much of movement and excitement about architecture or it is more of sitting in front of a computer and doing work? Is there any other field related to Architecture or a field to transfer my skills and knowledge, where movement , dynamics , communication and management are involved? I'm still young and I'm about to do my first year out but from my previous internships I have noticed there is not much of excitement about being an architect nowadays... 

Thank you for your time

Aug 31, 17 5:30 am
joeuk

Ill never be one, but excited about doing something in the field. Maybe I am locked up in the fantasy of what architects do, but I am happy to be. 

Aug 31, 17 6:25 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Movement, dynamics, communication and management what does that even mean?

Aug 31, 17 6:55 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

It aint race car driving.  It's a typical white collar desk job.

Aug 31, 17 6:55 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Yes you sit at a desk all day. Once you move up or if you are lucky you get to go to site visits but that will be done as cheaply as possible and you'll still need to come right back to your desk for more sitting and clicking. You may also eventually go to client meetings. 90-95% of the time you'll be sitting at a desk. Whatever time you spend with a client or at a site you usually have to make up for with extra desk sitting. But that's way down the line in the career path. Noobs do the most desk sitting of all, with the least site/client interaction. You can easily go an entire year cad monkeying at a desk and never see a site or client.
Aug 31, 17 8:01 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

So can you tell me anything that would put me off ?

Aug 31, 17 8:16 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That the funnest part, figuring it all out without ever seeing it!

Aug 31, 17 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Careful f\_/C, if you teach the younguns they'll take that knowledge and start their own firm and start competing with you.

Aug 31, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I toured 3 sites this morning. Want to talk about mouvement? How about you try to climb in and out of excavations in dress pants while still looking good. That takes skill.

Aug 31, 17 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The industry has to change, but the AIA, NCARB, and NAAB aren't about to derail their money trains. Neither are the deans and professors at the schools.

Aug 31, 17 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I missed a plane to site once.   Didn't leave my desk for 2 years.

Aug 31, 17 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

There is an urban legend about a guy in Denver who did nothing but move a curtain wall 1" throughout a set of drawings for an entire year. At least something moved, if only a digital representation of a wall.

Aug 31, 17 10:46 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

grab a shovel son, this foundation isn't back-filling itself

Aug 31, 17 10:55 am  · 
 · 
archinine
It should be noted that you'll be more likely to get to go to site/client visits earlier on if you're working on smaller projects. That doesn't necessarily mean only small firms, big and medium firms also do small stuff. You'll spend even more time at your desk doing client and coordination meetings now that teleconferencing has become so prevalent.
Aug 31, 17 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
rroxxy27

How about project manager, construction manager OR architectural consultant? 

And how about transferring to the industry of consultancy? Can it work without having the business background or what should I do in order to switch?

Aug 31, 17 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: