Archinect
anchor

Am I being impatient, or is something on my CV amiss?

sherbetlemons

Hello!

I'm a recent graduate from a part I course in the UK, and I've been applying for advertised jobs over the summer, with the majority sent in the last 4-5 weeks.  In total, I've fired off about 30, mostly by email, with tailored cover letters.  I always follow up with a phone call a week later, and a second some time after that.

This isn't the first time I've had to look for a job, as my course included a 'sandwich' year-out.  I switched jobs halfway through because my first employer laid lots of people off.  I expected things to be easier this time round, but there's been a distinct lack of traction.  

Could something on my CV hampering my efforts?  I've got concerns about:
a) A switch of employers looking bad;
b) I'm located in a rural area miles from anywhere;
c) Practices are looking for fresh grads

The portfolio+CV combo I've been sending is linked below.

https://static1.squarespace.co...

If anyone has any tips or pointers, it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Aug 29, 17 6:15 pm
archanonymous

as a general rule i put candidates who are not local at the bottom of the stack unless they are truly exceptional. 

You've also not shown that you can actually draw and document a building past Schematic Design, so as an employer it looks like you are essentially useless for 90% of the design process. All new grads are, of course, but you have to trick them into thinking you aren't!

Aug 29, 17 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
sherbetlemons

Thanks for the advice! Removing my address from my CV is easy enough. As for your second point, I've got a few detail drawings from my most recent academic project but that's about it - I worked exclusively on early/mid stage stuff while on placement.  

Aug 29, 17 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Honestly that first job after school takes time. Sometimes nearly a year. That said your CV I'm afraid is not very impressive. The projects feel rather bare and seem to favor fitting the layout format more than being descriptive about what they are and showing what you can do. I'd recommend taking another pass at the content. Maybe cut down on number of projects and allow room for more detail on those you choose to include. 2 pictures per project is pretty sparse and doesn't tell an employee much. Also remove '3D' from rhino and grasshopper, it's redundant and for gh, inaccurate. Makes you look a bit like a noob.
Aug 30, 17 7:55 am  · 
 · 
sherbetlemons

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

Aug 30, 17 8:21 am  · 
 · 
sherbetlemons

I'd always been told that the first submission was a teaser - is that the wrong way of going about things, do you think? Elaborating on projects while holding someone's attention and fitting under file size limits is a little difficult. Also, when you say 'not very impressive', do you mean the visual content or the 'resume' component as well?

Aug 30, 17 8:31 am  · 
 · 

Every time I've been called in for an interview during my career, I sent in a full portfolio to those firms. I found that sending a teaser doesn't get you anywhere (but teaser sell sheets probably get much more traction once you have a few years experience under your belt).

Aug 30, 17 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
I mean you've got like 8 projects with barely 2 picture collages each. They are all about the same in terms of whatever skill you're showing. It took me two looks to realize when I was viewing a different project because the titles are so small and the work is generally not very descriptive (no diagrams, plans, sections). And you're definitely not showing me you know grasshopper or that you can do a CD set. Tease with less projects and make me want to look at the ones you do include. With zero descriptive text and essentially no drawings (only renders/line renders) I'm not convinced you'd be useful in an office other than as a visualizer, and no offense even that is questionable considering the purple orange thing. Convince your audience. Include a variety of drawing types not the same tease of every project you've ever done. Like I said pick 1-3 projects that are different and show a variety of drawing capabilities. It's too many pages with not enough content. You'll get far more mb per page if you limit those colorful renders that aren't doing you much.
Aug 30, 17 10:18 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Hope this isn't too harsh, but here are my comments:

1. There are no conventional plans, sections, or elevations in your portfolio. You must show you understand basic drawing conventions.
  2. There is little evidence that you are familiar with construction methods. Did you take any construction courses in school? A few details would help.
  3. Your rendering style is a bit idiosyncratic. It's not going to appeal to everyone, and I have a hard time seeing it used in a professional setting.
  4. I don't think the outer space projects are going to win you many points with a future employer. Perhaps blame your studio professor for that.
  5. Regarding your address, you need to show your address. That's basic information. Have you exhausted your local job search? Is there a city you really want to live/work in? If so, move there first and start getting to know the professional scene. 
Aug 30, 17 10:43 am  · 
 · 
sherbetlemons

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

Aug 30, 17 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
@josh interesting note. I've found as op states there's often a specific file limit. 5mb seems to be the norm these days. I typically send the best drawings/diagrams plus 1 overall render and short description of 3-5 projects. A portfolio lite. I'm rather shocked at how many schools apparently don't have any instruction on how to put these things together as my school was extremely thorough with these lessons even if the content was far from 'buildable' with most students.
Aug 30, 17 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
sherbetlemons

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.  I'll try and factor what's been said into future applications, as there's been a lot of good points made.  Some of it contradicts what I've been told by tutors, and what I've experienced first hand applying in the past, so I'll have a pause to think my approach through before carrying on with applications.

Thanks again!

Aug 30, 17 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: