Archinect
anchor

Shower and Toilet room for a Condo Community. Risky?

stime

Hi all. Short and sweet...

I've been approached by a friend (head of HOA) in a condo community to add an ADA toilet room and showerstall too their pool deck area. It's going to be an exterior space, above a structured parking garage, and adjacent a condo unit. 

Should I be concerned? It's a very small job (<10k in fee), but we do very little work as this is an after hours scenario with my side practice. I have professional liability and EO coverage for my side practice, but my insurance agent still put up a red flag when I said condo community, (regardless of all the tough language I put in the proposal about indemnify this, outside owner's consultant that, etc). 

Thoughts? Anyone been through a slip and fall lawsuit? How does that actually play out? Assume my rates go up? Would I need to get a lawyer? Never been in that scenario.

Things in my mind are: acoustics to adjacent unit, slip and fall in shower, and waterproofing. Not worried about the fee... worried about the potential headache. Want to help my buddy out, but maybe it's not worth it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Aug 24, 17 8:22 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 2 Comments

archinine
Condos are notoriously difficult to deal with. I knew an architect who did small scale renos in her own building on which she was a board member and it was nonstop headaches, nitpicking, endless complaining. She admitted after all was said and done those projects rarely amounted to more than minimum wage in terms of the actual time spent vs total fee.

Tread lightly.
Aug 24, 17 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
geezertect

Small fees, high liability, and difficult clients with no clear decision makers doesn't sound like a great combination.  Be doubly sure your insurance will cover you.

Aug 25, 17 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: