Archinect
anchor

Eclipse 2017!

So who's going, and to where, and what are you using to view it?

I'll be at work tomorrow but plan to go into the parking lot at 2:30 with a pinhole box over my head, like this:

(You guys, I'ma 50yo woman. My concerns about looking dorky are zero.)

Don't worry about the $700M in "lost productivity" that the economic theorists are yapping about. The moment of totality, both physical and spiritual, will make you feel good, which will make you more productive in better ways.  

Enjoy the show, and the moment of the whole country saying "Whoa!" together but for a good reason - SCIENCE!

Aug 20, 17 7:49 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 29 Comments

curtkram

parking lot.  my office something like 99.7% of totality, so i might drive north a half hour and watch from the side of a road somewhere.

with nasa approved paper glasses from amazon

Aug 20, 17 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"While I am not technically in the path of totality, I will be so close to it that it would be near totality. It'll get dark like night time during the eclipse." ..you'd think that but it turns out totality is pretty all-or-nothing.

Aug 22, 17 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Also, listen here to some perspective on the importance of sex during totality (at 32:35).

Aug 20, 17 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

LOL David, please don't get arrested...but if you listen to the podcast he says that we need to throw away these woo-ey notions that sex is magical and mystical and can bring about some kind of global harmony, totality or not.

Aug 20, 17 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Oh please, if you want your child to get into Hogwarts, you have to be getting it on during totality.

Aug 21, 17 10:48 am  · 
 · 

In other words we're all doing the eclipse wrong?

Aug 21, 17 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

I mean, I'll do the box thing but I'm not really interested in watching the eclipse itself *happen*. I want to see what the sense of darkness is like in the middle of the day - I'm in like 92% totality.

Aug 20, 17 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Also, you guys know there's another North American total eclipse in 2024, right? So consider this one a dress rehearsal. Whatever you get wrong this time you can correct in 2017.

Aug 20, 17 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I've got a few years on you, Donna.  And I'll never forget waking the house up laughing at SNL when a... similar event was discussed.

" ...there's this drive-in movie theater, and they were showin' this X-rated French movie. And I was just ridin' along, when all of a sudden, peekin' through the trees, I saw the world's biggest buttocks! Two big cheeks that was bouncin' over the expressway. I thought I was gonna die! There it was in living color, a total rectal eclipse! "

Aug 20, 17 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

citizen, I have a distinct memory of my sister's face as we laughed at that skit. Rosanne Rosannadanna. Loved her.

Aug 21, 17 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Sadly, these are a house pair and I won't be there. Pin hole headset for me!

Aug 20, 17 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Amemobird

TS6

Aug 21, 17 1:38 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

i terrified to look at it.  Even with glasses.  I have an irrational fear of going blind...

Aug 21, 17 3:35 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Fear of going blind by staring at the sun with some glasses you bought off Amazon? Sounds quite rational to me...

Aug 21, 17 10:50 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Cloudy where I am at.  Would have been about 90%.  I guess it will just get eerily  dark

Aug 21, 17 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, it's looking like it's going to be cloudy in my city too. Oh well.

Aug 21, 17 9:44 am  · 
 · 

I have a deadline at 2, so the sky is going to start looking like a really bad omen.

Aug 21, 17 10:33 am  · 
 · 
citizen

It just dawned on me that the news tomorrow (or even tonight) will likely have stories of folks that looked with unprotected eyes and will suffer retinal damage.  It's a shame.

Aug 21, 17 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Of course there was!

Aug 27, 17 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Stimpy you EEE-diot!

Aug 21, 17 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

+++++

Aug 21, 17 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
It's not cloudy here and the quality of light is soooooo weird!
Aug 21, 17 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
4 minutes to derp eclipse!!
Aug 21, 17 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
I mean DEEP
Aug 21, 17 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

I want my money back.

Aug 21, 17 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Worth it just for the bizarre quality of light, like when movies are set on alien planets. And the shadows! Little funny crescents everywhere. And seeing people all over the city outside expectantly. So worth it.

In 2024 Indy is smack in the middle of the totality. Can't wait!

Aug 21, 17 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it was awesome!, it got colder here, and the light was like being in a dream with 90% 

Aug 21, 17 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

It got colder here, too! So bizarre.

Aug 21, 17 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
White Walkers are here.
Aug 21, 17 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

#teamNightKing

Aug 21, 17 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
won and done williams

Sad to see it go. It was weirdly unifying at least for an hour or so. 

Aug 21, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

It was not sunny in Philadelphia, but plenty of people went onto the balconies of their office buildings to peek at it anyway.  I'm with jla-x, I didn't end up looking at it, just watched the shadow come and go.

Aug 21, 17 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

also, cicadas chirped.  it was awesome.

Aug 21, 17 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think I see it, nope, oh wait, there it is....

Aug 22, 17 7:50 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I hate eclipses, was supposed to see totality some years back with a bunch of friends in France, only to find out last-minute my "friend" offered my seat in the car to some girl he fancied. I have never been happier of a cloudy day since, they didn't see shit.

Aug 22, 17 9:40 am  · 
 · 
tduds

My girlfriend and I rode our bikes the 15 or so miles south into the path of totality. We happened upon a golf course that had a breakfast bar set up, and enjoyed the celestial phenomenon with a couple of bloody marys and a hundred or so random folks from around the state. 

It was absolutely incredible. Indescribable. I really didn't expect to have such a reaction, but honestly I was near tears. Not even sure why, I'm not a very outwardly emotional person but it's such a powerful sight and I was overcome. I'm so glad we put in the effort to see it. Friends & family in Portland - in the 99%+ zone - reported it got a little dim, but nothing close to what we experienced.

I took some great photos and a timelapse that I'll share in a bit, once I've had a chance to edit & upload.

Aug 22, 17 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Aw, tduds, that's a great story. Glad you had such a good experience! And biking there was brilliant!!

Aug 22, 17 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

I stayed here and worked yesterday, taking a break to see the partial eclipse with the rest of the office on the roof. My parents still live in the house I grew up in, which is located in path of totality and I didn't take the opportunity to travel and see it there due to various reasons. TBH, I regret that decision. It was cool seeing the sun more than 90% obscured, but I should have just put up with whatever inconvenience I would have had to deal with and gone to see it in totality. Oh well ... next time I'll have to make a trip. 

Aug 22, 17 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

As promised, my photos.

Aug 23, 17 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Very nice.Thanks. I got goosebumps just from the pics I can only imagine how it felt it person.

Aug 23, 17 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Cool story, Rick.

Aug 24, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
proto

totally worth it to go 40mi to see a once-in-my-lifetime event near my home (my pics don't capture it) -- 1:11 of totality (we didn't go to the actual line itself [would have been 2:00 long]) seemed short but intense

invisibility of the moon before occlusion

strange twilight clarity vs dimness in the lead up

noticeable temp change

shadow bands were a cool surprise

bright, intense white corona

everyone near us got quiet in the last minutes of partial and starting oohing/aahing & cheering during the totality

realizing how ridiculously bright the sun is on the daily

i set up a gopro to get a timelapse but wasn't smart enough to consider its autoexposure would minimize the differential lighting, so it showed a field of people moving around and then a wink out at the totality

Aug 24, 17 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

anybody noticed birds didn't fly when it was darkening?

Aug 24, 17 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

On the contrary... as soon as the total eclipse started a bunch of ravens exploded out of a tree behind me, swooped around the sky for a minute, and then fled back to the tree when the sun came back. It was bizarre.

Aug 25, 17 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

For my Eclipse 2017 experience, drove to Montana and Wyoming; Absarokee, Fishtail, Tippet Rise Art Center, Gillette and Douglas.

The full totality and getting dawn/dusk, "night-time" all in one day was pretty sweet. Traffic back down I-25 not so much...

Aug 27, 17 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: