Archinect
anchor

Portfolio dilemma

danewbie
So let me start by giving some contexts to my current situation/plan. I'm going into my sophomore year in college and am double majoring in civil engineering and pre-architecture. I plan to go to grad school for architecture and for that I'm going to need a portfolio. The problem is, because I'm not getting studio exposure, I won't have any work to pull from there.

I have explored different alternatives. I've entered a couple design contests and produced solid renderings from that to include. However, because I'm not officially an architecture student, my contest options are limited. I don't have any other artistic works to pull from.

I am also currently employed at an architecture firm working as a drafter. I do a decent amount of 3D design work in sketchup and lumion. Am I allowed to include this into my portfolio even though it technically isn't "my work?"

What are viable alternatives to a traditional portfolio? Also, are there any design competitions that you would recommend?

Jul 27, 17 4:50 pm
Non Sequitur

Portfolios are not just about polished renderings. You need to include examples that show your creative thought process.  For example, take life drawing, sketching, or painting courses and use those skills to demonstrate your understanding of depth and proportions... light and shadow, scale, etc... You also don't need competitions, just treat yourself as your own client and run through design options for anything. Bang out the ideas and keep your concept sketches.

You can certainly include work produced from an office but it should be clearly labelled as such with your level of responsibilities underlined.

Jul 27, 17 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

This

Aug 2, 17 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Nats

All I had was a sketch out of my window of the houses across the road and an ink drawing of a church. But times have changed a bit since then.

I would say if you want to look really good you should have a technical drawing showing the construction through the wall of a modern building done around 1:20 to show you know a bit about construction even if its copied, a set of elevations and plans of said building drawn in cad, a rendering perhaps from sketchup or whatever, and some artistic sketches, not necessarily of architecture. And you should know roughly what style of architecture you prefer, and know of some architects that practice that style of work - doesnt need to be modern though could be historical.

Aug 2, 17 7:51 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Include everything you have to in your portfolio, just make the distinction what your responsibilities were, what you yourself did on those projects and that they are not yours. Also do unsolicited work, make your own project or competition etc. Whatever it takes.

Aug 2, 17 8:46 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

This

Aug 2, 17 9:33 am  · 
 · 
danewbie
Thanks for the help everyone. Really appreciate the support.
Aug 2, 17 9:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: