Archinect
anchor

Water Closet table interpretation

jasonmc1023

I am drawing a new plumbing/electrical service headquarters here in North GA. It is about 9,600 sf. The tables for water closets is a little tough to interpret. A colleague and I have differing opinions. Does the attached table mean per sex? The is a type 2 Business. Does it need 4 toilets and 2 sinks (not including the urinal exception), or 2 sinks and 2 toilets??????

Load occupancy is 1 person per 100 sf. Load is 96 occupants.

Please help....

Jul 7, 17 8:28 pm
Non Sequitur
You should hire an architect.
Jul 7, 17 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
jasonmc1023

Thanks for the input I guess. I am an architect, 95% of my work is residential. The colleague I am in disagreement with is a commercial architect, mainly restaurants though.

Jul 7, 17 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Funny. This be a first then. I read the table as 3 WC req per sex .

Jul 7, 17 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

If the occupant load is 96 total, I have always read that as 48 each gender, then applied that to the chart and see where the chips land. Sometimes, the toilet rooms are not equal, but that's minimal compliance. YMMV.

I'd be interested in if anyone works through this differently- its fun to hear about regional distinctions in the practice.

Jul 8, 17 12:38 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I believe there is a footnote somewhere that says where both sexes appear evenly you multiply total occupancy by 60% and Design according to the table

Jul 10, 17 6:56 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

glad this was posted, I just realized that I used the full occupancy load for both sexes on a very small project - 30 occupants total.

Jul 10, 17 8:12 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Seems pretty clear that it's not gender-specific, they're just talking about total occupancy. 

Jul 10, 17 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: