Archinect
anchor

Job Titles for Interns thanks to NCARB??

jdaniel_m

I'm going into my fifth year of school, so I'm preparing networking business cards, but what am I supposed to call myself now that NCARB has decided I'm no longer titled "intern"? AIA suggests:

1. Architectural Associate (except that associate has high level meanings in lots of firms)

2. Design Professional (stupidly vague and also I'm not a professional since no license)

I was thinking that we should just use the terminology used by medical programs for their licensing process (i.e. "architectural resident/residency program"), but since that isn't any official thing I'm not sure any hiring firm would get the link.

So what suggestions do you have for recent graduates to call themselves?

Jul 2, 17 11:25 am
x-jla

fluffer.  

Jul 2, 17 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

I suggest you check with your state.  The AIA's suggestion of "architectural associate" violates state statutes in many states, as would "architectural resident".  That's part of the reason that NCARB declined to suggest an official title to replace "intern" and instead left it up to each state to determine.

Jul 2, 17 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Architech
Architern
Archifice
Archieon
Archiperson
Archisan
Archistaff
Architizer
Archie

Jul 2, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Why do you need business cards? Land a job first, and then let your new employer order the business cards and decide what title goes on them.

Jul 2, 17 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

archer

Jul 2, 17 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Just use your name, school, degree you'll be earning and the year you'll be graduating, plus contact info.

Your Name
University of Whatever
Bachelor of Architecture, 2018

You don't have a job or position, so you don't have a title.
Jul 3, 17 6:08 am  · 
 · 
I'm with David Cole on this one. You don't need a business card to get a job. Make a small 'work samples' portfolio and leave it as a business card instead.

If you must have a card, just get it with your name and your degree. No title necessary.
Jul 3, 17 10:24 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

unless you are licensed, ncarb and the aia have ZERO power over you.  You can call yourself God of Design if you want.  Despite that, its cheesy to use bs titles. Just put name and contact info and that will be enough.  Maybe add a small simple graphic to convey your design skills/identity. 

Jul 3, 17 10:55 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

God of Design, who summoned me?

Jul 3, 17 11:19 am  · 
 · 
archinine
CAD monkey
Jul 3, 17 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
CAD monkey
Jul 3, 17 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: