Archinect
anchor

Please Identify My New Home

craftswoman

Hello,

I am buying this lovely five bedroom home built in 1924. I believe it is a craftsman style, as in the 1920's bungalow rage, but it is huge for a bungalow. It has an attached solarium and was built by E. D. Smith, the founder of and lumber barron in the town in which the home is situated. Any identification help you could give would be appreciated as I plan to begin restoration very soon. Also, I would love some time period exterior paint color ideas. I was looking at 1920's exterior color pallets for craftsman but if that's not what I have I need to it paint to type.

Thank you so much.

Jun 24, 17 12:42 pm

I'd call that a Cape Cod.

Please be forewarned that this site is not a good place for people seeking free design advice. I suggest you hit Houzz - super helpful website for people looking for answers like this.

Good luck!

Jun 24, 17 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Like the student council president accidentally sitting at the hoods' table in the cafeteria

Jun 24, 17 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'd call that a Dutch Colonial.  And, yes, it is lovely... though I'd fix that landscaping.

Jun 24, 17 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

I think you're closer to correct than I am, citizen. A sort of quiet Dutch Colonial.

Jun 24, 17 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, but whichever, definitely not Craftsman...

Jun 24, 17 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

And, as noted elsewhere, I should add "Revival." The Dutch weren't still colonizing in 1924...

Jun 25, 17 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

I'd fix the gutter before worrying about the mulchscaping.

Jun 24, 17 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

And if you need an addition, I know a guy...

Jun 24, 17 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The windows are classic Craftsman but the rest of it, except for the absence of the gambrel roof, seems Dutch Colonial or Dutch Colonial Revival. Speaking of roofs it would seem that you need extensive soffit repair along with the gutters and most likely an entirely new roof. What did your home inspector say?

Jun 24, 17 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
craftswoman

Thank you so much. And yes, the roof and gutters will be replaced. Thanks again

Jun 25, 17 12:03 am  · 
 · 
randomised

And about exterior paint colours, have you considered vantablack?

Jun 25, 17 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Craftswoman,

The interior photos indicate pure Craftsman. The lower interior photo with the doors off of the entryway matching the front door and sidelights perfectly and the upper interior photo of the dark wood surrounding the dark wood doors and the style of the bannister seem classic Craftsman. Good luck and I am sure you will remove the green storm door as soon as possible, even if you don't replace it right away. Good luck!

Jun 25, 17 7:01 am  · 
 · 

I disagree, Volunteer. The arched fanlight over the entry door isn't Craftsman is it? It's Colonial. The muntin pattern is what I think Pella calls "Prairie Style" but they're likely not original. And the proportions of the space are Colonial, not Craftsman - it would be wider and lower as the latter.

Jun 25, 17 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I agree with Dutch Colonial. Have you looked at Pinterest? Lots of design ideas there. 

For picking colors, I always start with considering the light in your neck of the woods. Also consider the neighborhood palette if there is one worth considering. A local architect can help better than the forum if you want a real professional opinion.

Jun 25, 17 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Dutch Colonials are usually white... makes the woodwork/trim stand out more. 

Jun 25, 17 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The projecting eaves are part of what makes it a Dutch Colonial

Donna, the entryway is up for discussion but the second floor photo is right out of the Craftsman book.

Jun 25, 17 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

A majority of houses are mongrels and hybrids of this and that style.  Purity is fairly rare.

Fortunately, most designs from a hundred years ago were much more expertly composed-- even if of disparate elements-- than the horrid heaps we see being hatched more recently.

Jun 25, 17 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Funny how that is apparently Dutch Colonial style (not a big fan or expert on those kind of styles), but here in the original Dutchland across the Atlantic none of the houses (ever) look(ed) like that.

Jun 26, 17 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

We should figure out who to sue for that.

Jun 26, 17 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes, the Dutch always know where to sniff out a deal...traded New Amsterdam/New York for Suriname, the whole world could be speaking Dutch right now :'( And the patriotic tan of your president would look great on Kings Day or during our football matches.

Jun 27, 17 1:47 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Paint it apricot colored.

Jun 27, 17 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: