Archinect
anchor

Herzog & De meuron's Hamburg concert hall Roof

mtdew

Anyone know anything about Herzog & De meuron's concert hall roof disks?...  Does it have a function? I couldn't find anything online about them. At first I thought those dots were fiber-optic cables to bring in light. But I don't think they are..

Jun 1, 17 3:31 pm
senjohnblutarsky

Expensive "ballast". 

Jun 1, 17 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Functionless, hideous, and x10 over budget (€789m).

A perfect score: three for three! Bonus points awarded for being 7 years late. 

Jun 1, 17 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

No idea. I'm able to draw similarities to RMIT building in Melbourne tho, the circular glass panels were suppose to perform lighting control functions but like any vain art pieces, it could barely work.

Jun 1, 17 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

looking through The Plan issue 096, which features the Elbphilharmonie with an essay by Michael Webb... He refers to the roof as "the fifth facade of eight concave surfaces" and that's it. The section detail through the roof reads as follows:
1- Roof comprising circular micro-perforated aluminum "sequins" of different diameters, sub structure of Ø 3 1/2" (90mm) steel pipe profiles, 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 " (90x90mm) steel box beams, steel pedestals, waterproofing membrane, 7 1/8" (180mm) impact-resistant rigid insulation, vapor barrier, insulated corrugated sheeting

I doubt it's kosher to reproduce the section drawing here, but judging by the cited spec and the photos - you can clearly see that these discs are not for filtering light at all (filter it to what, the waterproofing layer?) So my guess is these are purely ornamental elements. The roof plan looks pretty trippy, too - like a circle packing algorithm gone awry...

Jun 1, 17 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
mtdew

Thanks. The disks appeared to be more than what they actually are... very expensive decorative "cover board".

Jun 2, 17 9:17 am  · 
 · 
t a z

Courtesy of your good friends at Sika:

https://www.sika.com/en/reference-projects/elbphilharmonie-concert-hall.html

Feb 25, 20 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Metal disk/roofing contractor?

https://www.wittenauer-gmbh.de/de/referenzen/oeffentliche-bauvorhaben/elbphilharmonie-hamburg/

Feb 25, 20 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Frisbee roofing aside, there's something satisfying about a shaped form rather than just scalloped parapets hiding a flat roof.

Feb 25, 20 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

seems like a good way to break an ankle

Feb 25, 20 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: