Archinect
anchor

Das Atlantik Wall

Volunteer

Marcel Breuer's empty Brutalist building in Reston, VA, is no more. It was lastly the incarnation of a newspaper guild (or something) a few years ago. It has been torn town after sitting empty for years to make way for townhomes.

May 8, 17 5:27 pm

Alas. Nobody knows anything, money is their only measure. 

My father's favorite house was recently razed and replaced with some spec gambrel PoS.

http://www.normanjaffe.com/lloyds.html

May 8, 17 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Miles, your father did some really great work. Just looking at the website the projects are all very well designed.

And that's a damn shame. I hope their new house is cursed.

May 9, 17 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
GloriaMonet1

It's saddened me on some point by just viewing that picture. :/

May 8, 17 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Miles,

Can't believe they tore down your father's house. It was really striking with the stone and glass as designed. A minimalist landscape architect would have known enough to add very little, if anything. Any chance of taking the plans and building another?

May 9, 17 8:28 am  · 
 · 

The problem is not recreating the work but rather finding a client who is both aesthetically sophisticated and financially capable. In my experience that is an increasingly rare combination. 

May 9, 17 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But Miles, the new house has an elevator and WIFI fridge!

...but your link is cock-blocked by my office's webfilter so I don't know what I'm comparing.

May 9, 17 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: