Archinect
anchor

Slope analysis in Rhino using grasshopper or any other plugin?

MusicFreakArchiGuy

I have an autocad drawing with lots of contours. I made a terrain model of it in Rhino. How do I do slope analysis for it in Grasshopper or any other plugin for Rhino/Grasshopper that helps me achieve this quickly and easily?

I need to show slopes like

0-3% - yellow

3-10% - brown

and as slope increases, the brown colour darkness also increases. This is a reference image. That's exactly how I want to do slope analysis.

Please provide step-by-step procedure or a Grasshopper sample file/screenshots.

Sure, there are software available like ArcGIS and plenty of others in the GIS universe specifically meant for such graphics.

However, I really don't wanna get my hands dirty in a new software for a thing like slope analysis. 

Jan 21, 17 7:15 am
Non Sequitur
So, you want someone to do your homework for you?
Jan 21, 17 9:59 am  · 
1  ·  1
lukeggg

convert your surface/polysurface to a mesh in rhino. reference your mesh in grasshopper. find the face normals of each mesh. deconstruct the normal vectors into x y and z. z is the slope. use the gradient component, plugging the z values into the t input, and the bounds of the z into the upper and lower domain of the gradient. the last component you need is the mesh colors component, and the original referenced mesh should go into the mesh, while the output of the gradient goes into color. you will need to graft both inputs. you can change the gradient values by right clicking on the component and selecting the different preset options.

Jan 21, 17 10:19 am  · 
 · 

use the panda plugin and build a definition.

*although I like lukeggg's answer more.

Jan 21, 17 10:45 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

"However, I really don't wanna get my hands dirty in a new software for a thing like slope analysis."

So then, you want us to get our hands dirty?

Jan 21, 17 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 
your conscience

you dont need a fucking grasshopper script to do this

Jan 21, 17 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Theres already a gh plugin available for this, and it works perfectly.

Jan 23, 17 1:43 am  · 
 · 
randomised

So, how did your clay renders turn out? I'm starting to feel a bit used, taking a long hot shower now...

Jan 23, 17 3:55 am  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

Hi fellow archinectians,  I express my sincere heartfeld gratitude to everyone for replies. I stopped following this topic. The terrrain eventually got analysed using ArcGIS by someone else after I posted my query here. In the last two years, I never worked on terrain models. My apologies for not replying. 

@lukeggg , I'll surely try your method and get back to you. Thanks. 
@Marc Miller, I'm installing the panda plugin right now and try your method as well. Thanks. 
@sameolddoctor, please provide the name of the plugin. Thanks.
@randomised, the clay renders turned out to be fine, thanks for showing concern. 

Jan 27, 19 10:38 am  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

Alrighty guys. I found an answer. I tried installing Panda in Rhino 5 and later in Rhino 6. I get an error that the plugin has expired and I should install a newer version which I"m already doing.

And.....!!

Mr. Zawarus is da dude!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/P...

Jan 28, 19 10:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: