Archinect
anchor

large spans without intermediate supports 34x34 meters

victor.de.smet

Hey Archinect i have got a question. I am a student engineer and i have to design a structure on  a square that is 34x34 meters large, whit a large span without intermediate support. And on each side you have 34 columns with in each case 1 meter in between and +-3 to 4 meter high. With this span as thin as possible. See the image for more clarity. 

Sorry for my Englisch.

Nov 20, 16 11:07 am
gruen
You will use trusses.
Nov 20, 16 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

or go 4 columns and space frame?

Nov 20, 16 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

You'll get the thinnest roof assembly using steel I-beams (technically "W" sections) spaced fairly closely together. That's not very exciting, but it's the most efficient shape of the most efficient framing material. 

If you just want the appearance of a thin structure, you could use open web trusses or space frames (3-D trusses) as the other guys said. The total structure would have to be deeper, but if you keep the trusses or space frames exposed, the look would be thin. 

If you want to try more exotic materials, you could use a diaphragm roof with steel cables in tension below. Again, the actual roof structure will be somewhat deeper than necessary, but the look would be very open. The diaphragm would have to be reinforced concrete, cross-laminated timber or something else good in both tension and compression. 

Nov 20, 16 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I
have a feeling you will have too much deflections

Sep 13, 20 9:53 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

you could make the entire thing a very shallow dome and do it in concrete or another primarily compressive system. Problem then is resolving the thrust forces at the edge of the roof, but not impossible. Does it have to be flat?

Have you done research into other large buildings with column-free interior spaces? It would probably be informative.

Nov 20, 16 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Look at covered sports stadiums for examples of building whose interiors are column-free. Don't think the flat roof is going to work to well with snow or heavy rain loads. That said here is the McCormick Place in Chicago with the truss roof.

Nov 20, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Nice to see an Archinect thread on the basics.

Nov 20, 16 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Columns? We don't need no stinking columns.

Nov 20, 16 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Holy cow, ArchA!  That second one makes me both aroused and a little nauseated at the same time.

Nov 20, 16 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Can you make the roof sag a little? 

Nov 20, 16 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

the problem is not well defined. you could limit the depth to almost zero by using a sheet material that is sufficiently tensioned to cover the span.

Nov 20, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
The op is an engineer. It will be trusses for 34m freespan. Trusses will be effectively a space frame due to square plan and lateral reinforcement.
Nov 20, 16 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Suspension or inflatable.

Nov 20, 16 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Its called a truss...

Nov 20, 16 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

skyhooks.

Nov 20, 16 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Magnets

Nov 21, 16 1:59 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Structural Magic (tm)
Nov 21, 16 7:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ohran, I've stood under that sagging canopy. Truly a great space.

As for the topic at hand, has anyone suggested invisible flying unicorns? I spec the blue type over pink for reliability.
Nov 21, 16 7:33 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^ blue over pink? That is so sexist.

Nov 21, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

blue is what the engineers pick.

Nov 21, 16 9:34 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

No one ever wants to do gluelams anymore. 

Nov 21, 16 9:38 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Glulam unicorns?

Nov 21, 16 9:41 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Citizen - that's Museo de Arte Sao Paulo by Lina Bo bardi. Pretty cool building

Nov 21, 16 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Nobody suggested double tees either. They are all on anti-depressants because of that.

Nov 21, 16 9:52 am  · 
 · 
good details

Check out the The Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre  that just won the 2016 Structural Awards.

Nov 21, 16 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Agreed, archanonymous.

Nov 22, 16 12:40 am  · 
 · 
pujithavempati

which type of roof is suitable for column free structure of span having 34 meters

Mar 9, 17 8:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

magic

Mar 9, 17 9:32 am  · 
 · 
wangfengqi

used the pipe truss

Sep 12, 20 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I still can’t wrap my head at how this bridge was designed at Lincoln Center in Manhattan.

Sep 13, 20 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Portal frame? Look at aircraft hangars.

Sep 13, 20 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: