Archinect
anchor

If not an Architect, what else would you be?

cipyboy

painter or cartoonist. 

---- I am starting to think RickB's slowly turning to be the lifeblood of the forum. 

Aug 30, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 
momentum

Sequential Art (used to love drawing comics) Industrial Design not Per Correll or his current incarnation in this thread...so ridiculous.

Aug 30, 16 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

A boxing kangaroo

Aug 30, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

A man whore

Aug 30, 16 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

second that boxing kangaroo.  i'd also think about being a member of the empire's senate before things got all dark and evil.  

Aug 30, 16 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

code official ... or the punching bag for the boxing kangaroo. I'd probably come home feeling the same after each days' work.

Aug 30, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I'm just about to give up on archinect, thanks 100℅ to Balkins.

BB, you have a moral obligation to stay and suffer with the rest of us.

Personally, I'd like to be a movie or TV show architect.  Good looking, youngish, hip but not goofy, cool house, nice car, hot wife, perfect kids, never actually at the office working on anything but somehow the bills are being nicely covered.  

Aug 30, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sasquatch.
Aug 30, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I think I'd be a weaver.

My read on Balkins is he's subconsciously creating a horrendous reputation in each of the professions in which he wishes he could succeed, thus rendering himself un-hirable, un-commissionalbe, whatever.  This is because he's desperately afraid he doesn't really have what it takes to be successful in any of those fields, so he's shooting himself down before he can start and find out.  This way he can blame it on everybody being against him - because they are.

His best bet would be to pick some entirely, new, fresh direction - maybe one that requires only limited training (plebotomist? MRI technician?) or mostly on-the-job training (tax preparer? roofer?) and just jump into it and stay off the internet about it entirely.

Aug 30, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

My read on Balkins is he's subconsciously creating a horrendous reputation in each of the professions in which he wishes he could succeed, thus rendering himself un-hirable, un-commissionalbe, whatever.

Pretty sure he's got some mental issue.  

Sad thing is, we fired someone like that a couple week ago.  It's not that he was bad at his job, and actually pretty good.  The issue was that no one wanted to work with him on a team.  An example is on the life-safety sheet, I like to put the use on the room so the plan examiner knows the activity going on.  Instead of doing it, he'd come back with the submittal requirements showing me how it wasn't needed (taking the time to do that and waste my time and his counterpointing instead of just adding the redline).  Multiply that by a hundred directions you give to staff on a project only to be constantly told by an intern "that's not really what you need" with a researched explanation on why he believed himself to be right (ignoring that we've been doing this 20 years and have a lot of reasons behind the direction he was given)...  At first, it's not bad; you try to teach.  But eventually, you hit that point where you are tired of having to explain and defend your direction.  There wasn't a PM here that wanted him on their team.

He learned the hard way and I'm guessing will get more and more bitter with every job loss because he can't seem to understand why no one wants him around.  

Aug 30, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I was on another forum where some moron regularly came on and wrote the most vile and vicious racist crap.  I was shocked, and learned that s/he was a regular.  But nobody responded or referred to the posts.  Nobody.  As a result, you could just skip over those posts and follow the thread's conversation (almost) uninterrupted.

Of course the temptation to respond was always there, but, from what I saw, after a few rants with no retorts from anyone, the dolt left.  S/he would slither out the next day, spew, get no reaction, and slink back in again.

It was a useful lesson.

Aug 30, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I've often thought that cycle-couriering (?) would be really awesome. I've read three books on the subject written by local riders here in London over the last 6 months, each of which was fascinating. Unfortunately I think it's been totally romanticized beyond reality (ironically, very similarly to architecture in that respect). I just love taking my fixie out for a hard lap through the city; traffic here averages only about 20 mph so you can frequently overtake it on anything other than long straight-aways. I think the biggest problem is that a once-novel profession that was very heavily intertwined within the punk/underground/alternative scene has been largely commercialized by the likes of Deliveroo, etc., to the point where it's effectively an office job on wheels. Im starting to think I should hit up an alley-cat race in the near future to meet some of the 'originals'.....

Aug 30, 16 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

citizen, that's a good policy that I should take to heart.

You're right, there's really no reason for anyone to reply to him on this thread - and I shouldn't have.  I find ignoring racist rants easier though than ignoring some of the things that Balkins posts, particularly "advice" in response to newcomers with questions about education, licensing, working in firms, hiring architects, professional regulations, construction standards, codes, you get the idea...

I feel wrong not responding on those threads where if you let his posts stand without comment then you know you're letting somebody else be woefully misinformed - sometimes expensively or dangerously.  I try not to direct my replies in those threads directly to him - but if you post anything disagreeing with him, even if not directed to him, then he goes off on a defensive track, like mightyaa's former coworker, googling nonsense, throwing together legal mumbo-jumbo, and just muddying the question further.

I saw some absurd Balkins posts on a masonry forum, where they've given him a permanent automatic disclaimer about how he has no qualifications or training in the trade - so everything he's ever posted there has that in big red letters at the top of it.  Maybe we could just start doing that manually - posting a standard warning after each of his posts.  If that's ALL we ever post then newbies will be warned, but nobody will have to engage him.

Aug 30, 16 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ All good points, and an interesting strategy...

Aug 30, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

I don't even recall this masonry forum.

Aug 30, 16 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know about a masonry forum, but InterNACHI puts a little disclaimer for any non-member poster:

Please Note: Richard Balkins is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

https://www.nachi.org/forum/f18/witches-bend-chimney-54282/index4.html#post1067236

It's not just Balkins though, other non-member guests get it as well.

Aug 30, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Note: Richard Balkins, RickB-OR, RWCB_PBD, does not hold an NCARB accredited degree or foreign equivalent.  He is not a licensed architect in the United States or abroad.  He is not an experienced design professional. 

Aug 30, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

NAAB accredits degrees, not NCARB

Note: Richard Balkins, RickB-OR, RWCB_PBD, does not hold an NAAB-accredited degree or foreign equivalent.  He is not a licensed architect in the United States or abroad.  He is not an experienced design professional. 

Aug 30, 16 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Ok, 

Thanks E_I, 

I don't frequent that forum very much. 

Aug 30, 16 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

You should, your post count is only at 1 ... tsk, tsk. I'm sure home inspectors could benefit from your sage advice.

Aug 30, 16 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

duly noted EI

Note: Richard Balkins, RickB-OR, RWCB_PBD, does not hold an NAAB-accredited degree or foreign equivalent.  He is not a licensed architect in the United States or abroad.  He is not an experienced design professional.

My note is a little wordy but i think it covers things as succinctly as possible.  

Aug 30, 16 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

whatever.

Aug 30, 16 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

That chimney forum isn't the one I'm thinking of - I was thinking of one where he attempted to answer questions about clay roof tiles in China with stories of his roof in Astoria.

The chimney site's strategy is also good - at least it would give newbies some idea of the relative credibility of various characters.

Aug 30, 16 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Rick, why don't you become a carpenter...seriously.  It would do you good to get out of the computer and do some manual labor.   Sell the theodolite and drone and buy some basic tools...

Aug 30, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

this thread made me become a junkie.

Aug 30, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Is Balskid a Bubble Boy?

Aug 30, 16 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Investment banking: Stock Broker, portfolio manager....etc

Aug 31, 16 2:28 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Balkin, you are delusional. Reading your statements make me wonder what happen to you as you high school. 

Aug 31, 16 6:49 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Stupid iPhone. I accidentally flagged myself.  :0/

Balkin, you are delusional. Reading your statements make me wonder what happen to you in high school. 

Back to OP post: I would be happy. 

Aug 31, 16 7:19 am  · 
 · 

Shoe maker

Aug 31, 16 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Beatboxer / a cappella singer.

Aug 31, 16 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

receptionist to a film production studio, which I got to actually do last week. 

assistant cat sitter, which is also something I have actual experience in. 

Aug 31, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Yes, what an amazing profession to be involved..

Sep 2, 16 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
proto

othopedic surgeon

or

ski bum

can't decide, both require dedication i'm not really prepared for

Sep 2, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Why not both? Same industry.

May 19, 19 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Kalonji Edson Amado

film director

Sep 6, 16 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I'd build wooden boats for a living.

Sep 6, 16 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

I would make maple syrup and build wooden boats

Sep 8, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Robe boy for super models? 

Sep 8, 16 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Remi

A gardener, to grow trees ans plants :) !

May 19, 19 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Remi

A gardener, to grow trees ans plants :) !

May 19, 19 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
*your name

Super architect. I’m a rockstar now. 

May 20, 19 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Artist.

May 20, 19 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I'd put a jewelry studio in a classic travel trailer and drive around the country being an art fair hippie.

May 20, 19 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: