Archinect
anchor

What type of experience should I be gaining?

parkn

I had four job offers to choose from and I accepted one from the biggest firm due to the interesting website, variety of clients/projects and employment benefits. I have 2 years experience in a small/mid size firm and wanted to learn some more in a fresh new environment but unfortunately, I feel like this firm was a mistake. Too much copying and pasting from prototypes - which are all terribly done. The quality of the CDs are questionable and the PMs/Job Captains discourage me from asking questions. I wanted to grow and face architectural challenges, but instead I am working on fixing their messy CAD layers and pasting details even if they are wrong because we need to get it done. 

With that said, I am thinking about applying to new positions but I do not know what to look for anymore. Most directors/bosses seem like they want to hire passionate entry level designers, but once we are hired, we tend to turn into cad monkeys.. My bosses used to say that I should stay curious and they love the way I am hungry for work, but PMs don't have any time to educate me. Should I stop hoping that I will learn and just focus on work? I do not know what type of experience I should be gaining at firms. What should I look for when I search for a new job? 

Jul 4, 16 5:19 am
cipyboy

Obviously, you have landed on the production driven firm. Although, this type of environment is a staple to most(copy paste submit), I would suggest you should for the positives and how your current position affects you long term, as an architect, not just a designer.Check your office's built works and see if they're portfolio- worthy. And while you're on it, start looking for design-driven studios; apply for a position that offers you a well-rounded experience.

Jul 5, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Without really knowing more info about you as far as education, how far are you along on the path to licensure, etc. IMHO

At the end of the day the job is what you make it. You are being employee minded and not owner minded;

any random employee thinks "what can this company offer me" a owner thinks "what value can I offer clients to separate myself from the pack and generate wealth at the same time"

People who are in the driver seat of their career also think the same "what can I do to make myself more valuable to the market?"

You have your foot in the door, now all you have to do is be responsible for your own growth. if pm's are ignoring you, it maybe for 2 reasons; 1, you are a threat (which I doubt with only 2 years of experience, which basically all you know how to do is sharpen pencils and make coffee. 2) your A/E abilities are just not up to speed at this point and it would take them waaaay more time to explain it to you, and then time to double check what you did, only to see it took you 8hrs to do something that cud have been done in 3hours and it was done wrong, so now they have to spend 4 hours correcting it

If you want experience go get it:

• volunteer at habitat on evenings & weekends

• invest in construction detail books

• Buy a hard hat or borrow one form you job and vist as many construction sites as possible most times if you ask the site super if its ok if you walk through they will give you a tour and answer your questions.

• study for the A.R.E.

• go through completed project drawings sets in your office, look at how the set is put together, read the notes, look at the code review, take notes to ask questions later

• ask the pm's if there's anything they need help with

• come in on the weekends and update the detail library

• find architecture tours in your area

• if there is  a college in your area, take a night class or over lunch on construction management, photoshop, revit, sketchup, estimating, bidding, contract documents, etc..

• check craigslist for architecture study groups

• check menards / home depot / lowes/ billy bob's lumber, for classes on various construction skills workshops

the list goes on

Jul 5, 16 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Fergie

Good advice

Nov 8, 18 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

>I am working on fixing their messy CAD layers and pasting details even if they are wrong because we need to get it done.

Basically, you are holding hands and changing diapers.  Do you like cleaning up the shit of someone who is better paid, has more experience, and should know better?  If not, move on...

>PMs don't have any time to educate me

You won't learn anything but bad habits in this environment.  Not all firms are as poorly run as the one you're describing.  

Jul 5, 16 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
alle

My experience exactly. I landed at a bad firm too after a relocation. I find myself fixing mess created by people with more (?) experience than I have. My immediate supervisor is licenced but doesn't understand roof drainage. Work of consultants is sloppy and 70% needs coordination. Our Revit models are a mess, the BIM manager doesn't like answering questions and doesn't use Dynamo. Internal comments are not picked up. Yet everyone leaves at 5.

Nov 9, 18 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Perfect place to replace your supervisor, I see growth opportunities!

Nov 10, 18 3:24 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

Yet everyone leaves at 5

ooo heaven is a place on earth.

Nov 10, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
alle

You really think this is a good place?

Nov 10, 18 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: