Archinect
anchor

Plumbing Fixtures count

Palowe

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to go around an issue on plumbing minimum count for a business area and would like some ideas.

For the egress calcs I have various offices rooms, open office area etc calculated as 100sf/oc; then I have a conference room that I calculated as 15sf/oc.

Of course the amount of people in the conf. room increases my total occupancy quite a lot. And when I get to plumbing fixtures minimum count I have to calculate it based on total occupancy for Business occupancy. I am trying to justify something like, the conference room plumbing count will be calculated by A-3 and then add (to this conf. room ratio) the remaining occupancy as business calculation. Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance.

Paloma

Jun 22, 16 11:19 am
JonathanLivingston

I don't think a conference room is a assembly use. It's still a office use.  That should fix things for you. 

Jun 22, 16 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Correct. In the 2015 IBC you figure 1:100 gross . 1:150 for the 2018 IBC to determine occupancy numbers.

Sep 16, 19 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I have many times calculated plumbing separate from egress occupancy.

Egress you may have to account for a lobby or circulation space being full of people (for example, occupancy in a stairway) but in calculating plumbing occupancy all of those spaces are incidental to the primary use and can be excluded.

It really depends on your local building codes and inspectors.

Jun 22, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Palowe

I was thinking about that too. It seems a bit weird to reduce the amount of people so much, when clearly is going to be occupied by much more people. I guess I can internally keep the egress calculation as if this was assembly occupancy.

Jun 22, 16 11:54 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

In theory the majority of extra occupants beyond the 100/sf count would people using the conference room are already counted in the office occupancy. 

Jun 22, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

In theory the majority of extra occupants beyond the 100/sf count would people using the conference room are already counted in the office occupancy. 

Exactly

Further, I you really wanted to call the conference area "assembly" why wouldn't you have used the provision for an area with moveable seating?  Coincidentally, this is still 100sf, same as office

Oct 19, 16 7:47 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I know this is a zombie post but I cant resist. What I keep seeing by other architects is they label the conference room as "office" voila! All issues gone. 

Sep 15, 19 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's accessory, so it can be labeled thusly.

Sep 16, 19 11:54 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Not in my jurisdiction.

Sep 16, 19 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

303.1.2 Small assembly spaces.

The following rooms and spaces shall not be classified as Assembly occupancies:

1. A room or space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.

2. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.

508.2 Accessory occupancies.
Accessory occupancies are those occupancies that are ancillary to the main occupancy of the building or portion thereof. Accessory occupancies shall comply with the provisions of Sections 508.2.1.through 508.2.4.

508.2.1 Area limitations.
Aggregate accessory occupancies shall not occupy more than 10 percent of the building area of the story in which they are located and shall not exceed the tabular values in Table 503, without building area increases in accordance with Section 506.for such accessory occupancies.

508.2.2 Occupancy classification.
Accessory occupancies shall be individually classified in accordance with Section 302.1. The requirements of this code shall apply to each portion of the building based on the occupancy classification of that space.

There. Do I win?

Sep 16, 19 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Perfect!

Sep 17, 19 9:02 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

yup.

Sep 17, 19 11:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: