Archinect
anchor

Can you identify this house style?

gruntle

Scroll to the bottom for the original pic

http://blue.kingcounty.com/Assessor/eRealProperty/pictures.aspx?ParcelNbr=3021059075&View=1

Apr 20, 16 1:57 am  · 
 · 

E_I,

Neo-Mansard is a sub-style of the neo-eclectic. Neo-Mansard refers to the revival of mansard style roof that was originally popularly used in Italianate and most prominently seen in the Second Empire style.

Neo-mansard style doesn't have to be over-sized. Do keep looking and you'll understand that "Neo-mansard" terminology is about describing a kind of neo-eclectic style. Such as "Neo-Mission style". Neo-eclectic is an umbrella term to a wide range of styles. Neo-mansard style simply means a building using a mansard roof since the revival of eclecticism.  This house sure fuck isn't a Second Empire. 

Here's another example: 

http://recentpastnation.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/P7090870.jpg

Do realize that I am basing not just on one book but a whole range of sources. The books are guides and even they will claim is not an absolute hard rule.

The whole mansard roof being used on this house is obviously because of the neo-mansard movement. Up until the neo-mansard style, the last time mansard roof was used was back in the Second Empire / Italianate period. That's some 50+ year gap. 

I lean to this house being remodeled with an improper and not true mansard roof is the roof is not constructed like a proper mansard roof which you won't find on cheap mansard roof knockoffs of the neo-eclectic style period. 

Basically, if the house or building is not a Second Empire and it uses a mansard roof as the dominant roof form, it is a Neo-Mansard which is a sub-style of Neo-Eclectic style(s).

Apr 20, 16 2:05 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

Flipper...

If someone hired you to make and unattractive house appealing and more usable, have better flow and light...that would make you an architect right?  Buying and selling  a house without having lived in it dosnt make one a "flipper"  

There are five unopened boxes of the original brick veneer in the garage of that MCM...a flipper would send them to the landfill.

Apr 20, 16 2:07 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins, it's ok to be wrong sometimes. Have you and Gruntle exchanged phone numbers yet? You could offer him some sweet exempt building design services as per Washington state regulations.
Apr 20, 16 2:08 am  · 
 · 
no_form
So you're a "realtor?"
Apr 20, 16 2:10 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

Rick_B

did you see my link with the photo?  I cant seem to attach a pic directly but the mansard roof is original as are the walls

Apr 20, 16 2:15 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

Thats the word I was looking for...realtor...yup you are right and can go to bed now

Apr 20, 16 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Just because its a black & white photo doesn't tell me if or when the house was built.

While the house was built in 1952. The photo could have been in 1960s or 70s and still be B&W. There's nothing in the photo to say when or where. 

"Early versions for example seldom have through-the-cornice windows, a common feature on more recent examples." - http://recentpastnation.org/?page_id=401

You realize that mansard roofs had ceased being used on buildings since the Second Empire style until the early 1960s. For whatever reason, the house could have been remodeled in the 1960s or early 1970s. 

Early examples seldom have through the cornice windows. (cornice or eaves to be accurate... in that you either have an actual cornice or the mansard just terminates at the 'eaves'. This is probably an early example.  Do keep in mind that there would be an offset to when a style that began being popularized on the east coast to become popular on the west coast. I would rationalized that someone moved into the house in the late 60s or early 1970s and remodeled the house.

Apr 20, 16 2:18 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Flipping is cool. But don't delude yourself. Hope you don't get stuck with that shit box for the next 12 months. And beware of the Balkins...
Apr 20, 16 2:22 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

So no deep-set window or multiple level bc the original rambler or ranch home was not suited for the mansard roof but got it just the same.

Apr 20, 16 2:30 am  · 
 · 

Then gruntle, 

How would you know it is original?

The 1952 date is suspiciously early for mansard roofs to being used since the last time Second Empire buildings were built.

The 1952 date could be wrong. It could be 1962 or possibly 1967 or hell it can even been actually 1982 depending on the handwriting of the original source that they used for the getting the year be it an scribbled year on the back of a photo or a scribble on an old permit file... etc. I have personally seen things like that happen. 

No photo really says anything. B&W photos have been in use even in the 1980s. We can still do B&W photos using B&W film.

There is nothing indicative of the year in the B&W photo. No cars that would be a tell-tale indicator of the photo not being before a certain date if you can identify the year and model of a car in a photo.

Apr 20, 16 2:31 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

Some months  I'm a stair designer...is that cool enough for you?

Apr 20, 16 2:32 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

I dont know its original...Im used to looking at photos from the same county site that the B-W one came from and they will very often still be staked out at the property lines (same area) 50-60s  But typically the pics are within Seattle proper and its possible they were better about documenting properties on completion within the city compared to the norm further south where this mansard roof is located.

Apr 20, 16 2:40 am  · 
 · 

gruntle,

The photos you provided isn't enough to know. Walls can be reframed or modified. I have not seen any photos showing that. One reason it could have been remodeled from a ranch style is the old roof could have been removed and then the roof be re-framed. A contractor with sizable crew could do that all in less than 3 months. You wouldn't even know unless you look in the walls. 

At this point, it's speculation. All I know is, it is highly doubtful ANY building built between 1915 and 1955 had a mansard roof in its original design. 1955-1960 is still very slim and would only occur where Neo-mansard 'style' began. From 1960 and later, it is conceivable.

There was a significant stretch in time that mansard roofs were no longer 'in style'. It wasn't trendy anymore.

Apr 20, 16 2:44 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

But as a general rule the houses are photographed for the purpose of logging for record keeping, taxes and what not.  It wouldn't make sense to let decades go by before taking the first photo of the house.  The photo taking is part of a system that is in place and has been in place to record new construction and then periodic photos to supplement as time goes by

Apr 20, 16 2:45 am  · 
 · 

gruntle,

It just takes more research and sometimes, you have to look behind the interior finish. 

All I had to begin with in this thread was your two initial photos on the original post to go on. 

Apr 20, 16 2:47 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

But your point is taken...trends and styles are just that and stay reasonably well in there time periods.

Apr 20, 16 2:48 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

RickB

Thanks for all your insight...idiosyncratic neo-eclectic  bastardization seems most likely.

Mostly I am just curios about things and like to learn from those who know.

Apr 20, 16 2:58 am  · 
 · 

gruntle,

That maybe but record retention in cities or counties can be a bit of hit & miss. For whatever damn reason, they may have lost some photos over the years due to poor record keeping and therefore knows where it went. My guess, they could have a lot of stuff uninventories or otherwise misinventoried or stored in an archive somewhere. With several change overs of staff at the cities/counties since that time, it is probably reasonable to assume there is a bit of 'memory loss' over that time frame. 

Sometimes you have to look for photos that maybe at some heritage museum and their collection because of photos they got over the years from people who used to live in the neighborhood. 

Even in my town, I can't rely on just what the city or county has. I have to dig through other sources even indirect. As trained in historic preservation and research from qualified professionals, this can be quite a lot of work.

Apr 20, 16 2:59 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

RickB-OR

how do I post photos from my hard drive to a conversation...I had no trouble when I started the thread but now all i can do is paste a URL

Apr 20, 16 3:07 am  · 
 · 
gruntle

No-form... where did you go?  my NDA is over so now i can share

https://www.facebook.com/154869094650629/photos/pcb.763162747154591/763162323821300/?type=3&theater

Apr 20, 16 3:12 am  · 
 · 

gruntle, upload photo to photobucket or other similar sites which you can get the direct link, copy it and then go here and click on the little square icon with the little icon that looks like a square with two triangles (representing mounains) and a dot inside it representing the sun..... then paste the link.

I recommend that you right click the images you have on facebook (or any site) then copy image link. 

Apr 20, 16 3:35 am  · 
 · 

If you like me to post the image for you, I can do it.

Image links should end with .bmp or .jpg or .jpeg, or .gif or other file extensions for images.

Apr 20, 16 3:37 am  · 
 · 

Remember, you can't just directly post images from your hard drive on THIS forum. You have to upload it in such a way that you can get a URL.

NOTE: The only way you can post images directly from your hard drive is if you run a web server hosting your own website and store the image in the directory with your website and point web domains to your computer which may require you to use a Dynamic DNS service or use a static IP address. You have to use a URL that directly points to the image.

Apr 20, 16 3:43 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

A house flipper complaining about free advice he solicited on an Internet forum.  LOL

Apr 20, 16 4:44 am  · 
 · 

Apr 20, 16 4:50 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

this entire thread was fabricated by balkins and crew.

Apr 20, 16 7:28 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

no_form, you need to back the fuck off the Balkins stuff. 

This thread was destined to be ugly.  YOU, specifically, brought Richard (in his capacity as a designer) into this.    Whatever shitstorm this generates is totally your fault. 

Apr 20, 16 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sorry fine gents, laddies, and bakkino for the tardiness. I was too preoccupied and I missed the call.

Never too late no?

Apr 20, 16 8:25 am  · 
 · 

Well done, everyone here. Thread titles including the phrase "What style...?" are ALWAYS the best. I can't stop laughing.

Rick, your IDIOTSYNCRATIC line was good, as was your reference to the dumpster fire pic.

But at the end of the day, no_form, you win the blue ribbon, for this: Glad you found a place that shares your love for shitty buildings. It isn't the AIBD is it?

The whole thread should have stopped there. Perfection.

Apr 20, 16 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think this one is Barfhaus style. 

Apr 20, 16 8:50 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

mid-century Barfhaus. big difference tintt

Apr 20, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Mc-century or mid-century? Big difference, olaf. 

Apr 20, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Gruntle, to answer your original question, it looks to me like somebody liked the work of Louis Kahn:

Image result for louis kahn salk institute

Google "Salk Institute" for more photos of an amazing building, generally considered Brutalist in style, as I would also categorize your house.

Apr 20, 16 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

And I wouldn't really call that a Mansard roof, more like a sloped fascia. Brutalist buildings often had a tall, horizontal fascia to exaggerate the "bunker" look. The original shakes, likely hand-split redwood based on your location, provided a textural contrast to the exposed-aggregate walls below.

While it doesn't look like my version of an ideal home, if you cleaned it up and changed the asphalt shingles back to something more natural, I think it has some Brutalist charm.

If you're on Facebook, there's a group called the Brutalism Appreciation Society that you might consider joining, for fans of this style of architecture. 

Apr 20, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Good morning! I see the fire is already ablaze ready to warm me up.

For a quick recap let me see if I have this right. OP comes in asking about what style the walls are. The forums generally tells him/her off. It could have ended there. Balkins copies something from somewhere about styles that he's not even sure if based on basically nothing. When further evidence is revealed that might make Ricky wrong, he doubles down saying there isn't sufficient evidence to know anything for sure, but because Ricky was trained by experts we should all just agree with him.

Yep, sounds like a pretty typical dumpster thread a la Balkins.
Apr 20, 16 10:22 am  · 
 · 

I just went and looked at the Redfin listing. That house is sadly one that should just be put out of its misery.

Apr 20, 16 10:34 am  · 
 · 
no_form
It would be nice if Gruntle tore down that shit box and replaced it with one of his stairs. His own work is actually a great contribution.

He's really an excellent craftsman. My favorite is the steel stair and then further into the pics are twisted strands of wood that turn into a railing.
Apr 20, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 

E_I,

At first, I had just the two pics at the very original post. There is nothing to truly date when the house was built. If it was originally built in 1952, the house was probably heavily remodeled some time later from it's original form (probably ranch style like the other houses in the neighborhood). I never said it was a good example of Brutalist. It just happens to have a little of that attribute along it's front elevation with its huge massing of concrete aggregate tilt up panels and very narrow window slits. Obviously it isn't a true Brutalist. "Neo-mansard" neo-eclectic, it had certainly became in a very idiosyncratic way.... or how I said it earlier.... Idiotsyncratic way.

In no way am I saying this was done in a decent manner. 

It has a collage of different styles applied to it. Either it was originally built that way in the 1960s or later or it was remuddled sometime during that time frame. If I had to determine what it was originally, it is only guessing until you have definitive proof. I'm not running up to Auburn, Washington area to dig around records, archives, etc. to find the historical truth.

Apr 20, 16 11:49 am  · 
 · 

no_form,

"It would be nice if Gruntle tore down that shit box and replaced it with one of his stairs"

I would have to concur. It's not necessarily worth keeping as it is. Those precast aggregate walls could be kept... possibly. They would make a cool wall for a carport. 

But a cooler house can be made from parts of this one.

Apr 20, 16 11:55 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Ricky boi just got his ritalin fed to him in some apple sauce via spoon to mouth from mommie.

Ready...set.....GO!!!

Apr 20, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
no_form
DeTwan blowing on the embers. Don't let this thing burn out!
Apr 20, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

It's not a given that the house was not built as-is in 1952.  The sawtooth wall was popular all through the 1950s - a lot of what survives of that now is mostly in office buildings, dorms, other higher ed projects.  The roof isn't a true mansard, and this type does date back to this era - I have photos of relatives standing in front of a "Route 66" type diner and adjacent tourist motel in Arizona that had this roof - on their honeymoon in 1947. 

Whether dorm-walls-with-diner-roof make a good house is another matter, for the buyer to determine.  Is this property zoned commercial? Maybe retro diner would be the highest and best use.  Or add some sort of jutting shard-like steeple and start a church.  Or combine, for diner-church.

Apr 20, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Aluminate,

I agree it isn't mansard isn't a true mansard roof. If it was built in 1952 as it, it was unusually early for the pacific northwest after the Second Empire style went out of vogue. In fact, it was relatively uncommon for houses to have this. 

While the 'saw tooth' wall was popular to some level during the timeframe. Perhaps you have mentioned an extraordinary example of a mansard roof being used.... but a diner (a commercial building). It is possible in the commercial "international style" era that mansard roof form was beginning to be used. 

However, this house is kind of smack middle of a tract development of mostly.... drumroll.... ranch style houses of the 1950s/60s era. I would find that very unusual.

Apr 20, 16 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

I'll stand corrected regarding doubtful finding ANY BUILDING built between 1915 and 1955 having a mansard roof. Yes, you may still find second empire buildings still standing. However, I would still stand on it being extremely unlikely a HOUSE was built using mansard style roof (whether true or fake mansard) in the pacific northwest between 1915 and 1955. It would be extraordinary for it to have been built as a house this way at this time frame.

Lets remember, mansard roofs as the dominate roof form of houses wasn't popular in the pacific northwest and second empire houses in the pacific northwest is pretty uncommon.

While schools and hospitals had been built in second empire, most houses weren't. Astoria would be one of those places at the time that would have had them. It wasn't a house style that was common in this area. Italianate was more popular. We know this house is definitely not Second Empire. 

I suspect the house was remuddled or it was built closer to the 1960s.

Apr 20, 16 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

However, New York did adopt a zoning ordinance to promote the use of the mansard roof form in 1916. Aside from that, the roof form and use was progressively rare throughout the U.S.after the 1920s and especially unlikely to be used during the Great Depression and it wasn't until the 60s and 70s and 80s and so forth that this roof form became repopularized.

Apr 20, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

get back to work balkans

oh wait

Apr 20, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Rick I'm taking the time to explain this to you patiently, so please take this in the spirit of free education and just read and learn some things, and don't get all defensive:

Your googling found you some information on some very prominent trends.  It's not that it's wrong - it's just incomplete.  While not particularly prevalent, homes with mansard roofs from the first half of the 20th century are also not highly unusual in the Pacific Northwest.  This is because from about the end of WWI until the start of WWII there was a popularity in the US for all things French, and while the reverberations in US architecture weren't tremendous, there was a Norman Revival trend that started first among the wealthy - there are actually quite a few examples of very extravagant mansard-roofed homes of this type in Washington state built in the 1920s and 30s.  Then as the late- and post-war frenzy for suburban houses for the masses began this was adapted as one of the many stylized options in the first mass-production housing developments around the country, as well as in the catalog plans available at the time.  Here's an example - this is a 1944 suburbanized pink version  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8c/07/25/8c07253e2babb3732bb2de969f7ce526.jpg   There are many  instances of that cottage, and other versions by other catalog plan providers and tract home developers, built in the mid-40s through mid-50s still in existence all over the US, yes including WA and OR, in ordinary suburban developments alongside other styles of the time.  Through the 50s the cottage-style plans offered began to morph into the ranch-style plans, and in the process there were all sorts of bizarre hybrids. 

Apr 20, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Hollywood Regency style also crept northward to infect subdivisions all over the west coast in the 40s and 50s. Woolf started that - mansards were a favorite - and the star-struck adapted it to ranch houses.  I would think RB's googling could find a few of the many examples but here are some starters.  The first link is from 1958.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2uasOWFXLKVziQR2MS_hPTOxpZc=/0x600/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/5632839/6267767480_b1d270d21d_o.0.jpg

http://www.johnelginwoolf.com/

Apr 20, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Just for fun, how about an image of an actual mansard?  

This should not be (but often is) confused with a tall, tiled and tilted parapet that covers a flat roof condition.

Apr 20, 16 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: