Archinect
anchor

How do you send your portfolio for job application?

heff07

Just a little curious here, when sending out a job application, what is the preferred way? Through email, through the firm's website application page or send in a hardcopy portfolio instead? I remembered I read from somewhere else that sending online portfolio links are somewhat not that encouraging as the employers arent able to keep a record for future review. But there are some firms that only accept online application... what would you guys advise in such case? Just go ahead with post, or send link or attachment?

Apr 14, 16 8:15 am
Non Sequitur

Hire one of those gag companies that put 50 flamingos or penguins on the lawn overnight to do the same but with your intended future employer's office. If that's too subtle, send the portfolio along with a barbershop quartet.

Extra style points if you send 50 barbershop quartet with portfolio delivered in the beak of a flamingo.

Apr 14, 16 8:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Send a résumé and hard copy of a smaller, teaser portfolio to the office.  Cover letter and other documents can include a link to an online portfolio.  Include verbage that a full portfolio is available upon request. 

If the office requires digital submission of such things, make sure it is small enough to get there. 

Apr 14, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's different for different offices.  some of the bigger firms seem to have automated systems that datamine your information for whatever they think is relevant (education, years of experience).  some people don't want to deal with keeping paper files organized, while others don't want to deal with keeping emails organized.  linkedin seems to be facebook for HR people and recruiters.  or whatever the kids say now.  i don't understand that stuff (though i should)

Apr 14, 16 9:44 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Email a PDF if it's small enough. Otherwise, post it online somewhere and send a link to the PDF file. If the firm uses one of those resume submission services that requires you use their website to input all the information, you should be able to attach PDF files as part of that.

By "small enough", I mean 5MB or less. A lot of company email servers reject attachments larger than that anyway. And the automated application web sites usually have an attachment size cap at 10MB. You shouldn't be sending PDF files at higher resolution than 200dpi at whatever standard page size you're using (and don't use non-standard page sizes, in case somebody wants to print the thing out).

Apr 14, 16 11:52 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

You are competent, create a good portfolio and resume with no spelling errors, upload it as an attachment to an email client where your name is clearly marked) not some bullshit like [email protected]) and then you write a short and concise email referring receiver to attachment and then click SEND.... That's how....

Apr 14, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I send my resume and a teaser portfolio (my 'shortfolio' ..hah) as pdf's unless the application explicitly says otherwise.

Apr 14, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

And don't fucking BCC the sender.

I drop every fucking BCC'd application I get lauding my company. It's a nice marker for a moron that I would not like to have working under me.

Apr 14, 16 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I prefer to receive a pdf.  If you can't get a representative sample of your work into a pdf of a reasonable size then you need to get someone to help you edit it - don't send something huge and think that we'll be ok with it because your work is uniquely impossible to capture in a smaller file.  Links to files on other sites are fine IF they work consistently.  It's amazing how often they're wrong or the site is down.  Also don't send a link to a site where you have other files, unless you want us to see them.  A hard copy is annoying because somebody has to open it, stamp it, make copies for multiple people or circulate it around and keep track of it, and file it.

Apr 14, 16 7:43 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: