Archinect
anchor

Employment - No Response, too busy or not interested?

ShakeyDeal

I submitted a cv/portfolio to a firm that I am really hoping to get in with, for an internship position.  Prior to submitting, I was in contact with a couple of their staff about the opportunity. A senior level staff told me that I would be a good fit for the office and that he had mentioned me to the principal. Told me to send over my stuff.

That was over a week ago. Since then, no response. Not even a thanks for sending your stuff.  What gives? Are they over it? Or just too busy to respond? Any thoughts?

Mar 22, 16 12:41 pm
Carrera

Someone who is “too busy” needs to “interested”….a week is nothing, and sitting waiting for a call is a failed concept. 

Mar 22, 16 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

They should have hired you the day you sent your resume.  You should be their number 1 priority.  Me me me!!!!

Mar 22, 16 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Email them for an update.

Mar 23, 16 4:14 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Sometimes it takes a few days to a few weeks, my partner had a interview and they called her up 3 months down to let her know that she was accepted, unfortunately she had already found another job.

Mar 23, 16 4:43 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

At your no doubt tender age, you need to learn right away not to take stuff like that personally.  If your feelings are hurt now, wait until your first (of many) layoffs and disappointments in this wonderful profession.

Mar 23, 16 9:18 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I'd call it an omen of bad things to come. Offices who do not reply promptly to emails are likely: a.) too busy to pay you much attention, b.) somewhat disorganized, and/or c.) not really interested in you. All of my love connections have come from people that respond promptly.

Mar 24, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Realize that you are in the most unprofessional "profession". Do not wait and keep applying, but yes, email them for an update.

Mar 24, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
distant

To the OP -- was the portfolio you submitted actually requested by the firm, or in response to an employment add -- or, did you sent it unsolicited?

Some firms tend to blow-off unsolicited submittals from prospective employees -- especially when they're already busy. Design firms are notorious -- pretty much across the board -- for being understaffed in the HR area, especially the smaller firms.

Many firms are constantly being bombarded with unsolicited portfolios and become quickly immune to follow-up inquiries associated with those unsolicited portfolios. It's almost the equivalent of "architectural junk-mail" -- no surprise that firms might not drop everything else they're doing to deal with such submittals. Personally, I don't find that sort of response unprofessional - it's merely inconvenient to the applicant.

However, if the firm actually advertised the position, or specifically requested that you send your portfolio, then they should respond in some fashion within a reasonable amount of time. However, I'm not sure "a week" falls into "reasonable".

Mar 24, 16 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal
Appreciate the honest feedback.

The firm had actually saw my work sample prior to my cv/portfolio submittal. At that time they asked if I was looking for work and suggested I should follow up. So it was completely solicited, but outside of an official job advertisement.

I will give them more time, i was just anxious, which prompted my OP. Will follow up after two weeks to check in.
Mar 24, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: