Archinect
anchor

Having trouble finding an internship/work

DaniCalifornia

I graduated from architecture school last May and I have been out of work for almost a year. I wasn't able to both work at a firm and go to school at the same time due to my visual disability and the extra time needed to work on school and studio projects. My last year of school I was able to put in some minimal hours at the firm i worked at previously, but my previous employer had financial issues and i wasn't able to continue there. 

With family issues that arose early last year and lasted throughout the summer, I started to really get my portfolio together around August/September. I actually had extended time to finish my 5th year studio projects and assignments past my actual graduation date. I've had a few interviews recently, but I'm not so sure that they will actually lead to anything. Every potential employer has asked what I've been doing since I've graduated and dealing with personal and family issues isn't something they're really interested in hearing about I'm sure. Most places I apply to ask for a minimum of 1 or 2 years of office experience that I don't have. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I don't plan on giving up but I need to find work soon. Does anyone have any advice?

Mar 1, 16 1:45 pm
StarchitectAlpha

Start looking for part time drafting gigs at small firms telling them you really want to learn, it's the truth and some one will need at least 10 hours of help a week

Mar 2, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

If you don't mind doing something else other than architecture try looking into engineering,  survyeing, construction or developers if you just want work.

Mar 2, 16 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Try not to get discouraged, your post sounds quite down (understandably) but this is likely coming across in your interviews. You can quickly address that there were some personal issues after graduation but quickly move onto your skills and what you can bring to the firm. Keep the conversation and application materials very positive and optimistic. 

This article may be helpful for you:

5 Tips On How To Get An Architecture Internship

Good luck!

Mar 2, 16 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

If they ask what you have been doing just use my answer.

I realized there was a lot to learn about architecture so I took a year off for personal studies. Here I read many books including "................ architects" and admired how they approach "....................". Along with learning new philosophies, I enhanced my presentation skills by learning "..............programs. During this time, I entered these competitions (and mention any awards you may have won).". ***Then here is where you show before and after projects, showing significant improvement.***

Don't be down if you didn't work for a year, I didn't, its really no big deal.

Mar 2, 16 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Make an effort to understand how firm work - the 1~2 yr requirement is meant to filter out people with no common sense about working.  Most people in the 0~3yr bracket there isnt much difference based on length of time worked.  Being attentive to detail (checking your own work, making sure everything makes sense to you, spell checking) and eager to work (be on time, stay a little late, take your own time to go through the usual  books to learn detailing and rules of thumb: Architectural Graphic Standards, Studio Companion, etc) helps a lot and shows effort on your part. 

Since the recession, I think it's safe to say the majority of us have employment gaps.

Mar 3, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: