Archinect
anchor

We need new study material for the ARE

Anob

Hi y'all,

I'm a little pissed right now. Just took my PPP exam and the exam had about 10 questions out of 85 relating to what I studied. I still think I did fairly well but that's because of my former experience in a construction firm focusing of healthcare and laboratory construction. SMFH

My study material includes:  Ballast Review Manual and test booklets, Kaplan, AIA contracts, Phrogz PPP notes, NCARB question example, I actually read Defensible Space by Oscar Newman and more crap!!!

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is this just me? Taking site planning next. Can some tell me where should spend most of my valuable time.

Thanks

Mar 1, 16 12:50 pm
shellarchitect

PPP  is super broad, so its hard to study for. I found caroline's notes to be pretty good, and I spent a lot of time on ada and read through the code, if you have time the first 11 chapters, but at least read the sections on building areas and exiting

Mar 1, 16 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I only had Ballast - didn't even hardly read it.

Mar 1, 16 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

JeromeS,

Did you past are the sections ? How much years experience did you have prior to the exams?

Mar 1, 16 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I passed the section. I had many years of experience.

I admit, not a fair comparison

Mar 1, 16 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

Yea I found the study material for CDS and PPP to only cover maybe about 50% of the exam questions. Its really about critical thinking. Some of the questions, even if I could use Google, that still wouldn't help, lol. Passed both though!  (CDS on 2nd try)

Mar 2, 16 10:27 am  · 
 · 

I studied with Kaplan, Ballast, and AIA docs for PPP and did fine. Sure there were some questions that seemed like they came out of nowhere, but no more so than on other exams I've taken. 

Mar 2, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The PPP vignette is much worse than the multiple choice, IMO.

Mar 2, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Agreed on the vignette. That one tripped me up the first time and a lot of people I know failed PPP.

None of the study guides are going to cover absolutely everything that can be on the exams. For what it's worth each one has questions where you wonder where the hell they came from.
Mar 3, 16 4:53 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I also failed the ppp vignette the first time and I'm still pretty pissy about it.   That should be such a simple task yet the software makes it difficult

Mar 3, 16 9:15 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

This whole new setup, roughly the last 20 years or so, where interns spend years getting experience in architecture before they are allowed to test BUT THEN need to pay hard earned money on specific study materials, updated yearly or so, in order to spend hours and hours pouring over this choice A, B, C or D material to pass competency tests for licensure, is starting (haha) to miss the whole point.

You should be able to take these exams after you have the experience while using the standard books such as AGS, current code books, design modules, etc.  All these ARCIflash cards, study programs and manuals are useless, except to take these exams.

This profession has gone to hell, quickly.

Mar 3, 16 11:36 am  · 
 · 
For you, and all the other negative Nathans and Nancys on here: if you are so unhappy with architecture you could switch careers? Just a thought.
Mar 3, 16 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

I forgot to mention but On the fence's post reminded me, I was using old "outdated" versions of Kaplan and Ballast materials.

The thing is, and I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up before, they are changing the exams and there will be new study material for the new exams. NCARB is even investigating certifying third-party study material for the exams. From a recent email sent out by NCARB titled "Help Improve ARE Prep Materials" with a link to a survey...

"NCARB is investigating the possibility of a new program that would ensure third-party study materials align with content assessed on the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®)."

Can you ask for much more than that? Additionally, for those complaining about the vignettes ... ARE 5.0 is getting rid of the vignettes. You won't have to worry about learning the clunky software anymore.

So the OP and others can simply wait if they want to and things will change. They may not be better, but at least they are changing. Pass rates aren't terrible right now. I expect they will go down when ARE 5.0 is released then slowly climb up to somewhere around 60-70% ... pretty much where they are at right now.

Mar 3, 16 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: