Archinect
anchor

Online Architecture degree

choijw2

My long dream of becoming an architect died when I faced "reality". 

After I graduated from under grad with urban planning degree, I was planning to apply for masters in arch. but with family issues I pushed and pushed apply for grad school due to no time for GRE and portfolio. 

and then I got hired by construction firm for commercial projects, been working with many different architects and building designs for almost 3 years now. 

While working at construction firm, becoming an architect candled and I been looking at, possibly, online degree but could not find any schools with good reviews yet so here I am. 

Meanwhile I am planning to attend local community college for architectural design course (iit's mainly for CAD and building structural and basic system), and I can study theories and histories myself, but due to licensing requirement, I would need to get a degree from acknowledged school. 

If you know any decent school with architectural online course, please let me know, 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Feb 23, 16 10:44 pm

What state are you in? You might have alternative paths to licensure by experience in your area making it viable option.

Sometimes you can get by licensing outside the state you live in if they have a reciprocity path that doesn't require an NAAB accredited degree or being NCARB certified or BEA.

Feb 23, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
rchitct

I got an online based MArch from Lawrence Technological University (LTU) in Michigan.

I had an English undergrad architecture degree and a second American degree and had been working in the field for many years, but wasn't able to stop life and family for two years to go to grad school. I was able to complete my masters degree mostly online - I flew out to Michigan maybe 6 times. I needed a MArch and I learned some good theory and research methodologies there, enabling me to do a very research based thesis. Not sure I learned much about design there and I don't think you'll learn much about design at community college either to be honest with you - I teach architecture to kids who have taken design classes at community college and the classes seem to be glorified high school architecture classes - learning to design well takes years which is why design studio is a core class sequence that you do every semester and it  is the heart and soul of most architecture schools.

LTU worked well for me because I had got some great 'design' education elsewhere. That being said, it was an awesome option for a working professional - I was putting in 80 hour weeks, but able to hold down an almost full time job and still study. There were a wide variety of students, some of them working licensed professionals with BArchs who had to go back and get a MArch for a variety of reasons. You quickly learn how to do long distance digital collaborating. We would skype and screen share and do cad work and layouts online together. Good luck

Feb 23, 16 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

Hey rchitect-

I went to LTU for my Master's, also. I loved it. I felt that I learned a lot there and wouldn't trade that experience for anything. I, too, had to work. I also have a family, so taking 2-3 years off of work was not an option. I think distance learning is opening up a lot of doors for people who can't go the traditional route.

Feb 24, 16 11:06 pm  · 
1  · 
awaiting_deletion

I got mine, right here on Archinect.

Feb 24, 16 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: