Archinect
anchor

Workshop and lecture information on CV/portfolio?

LucasV

Hello Archinect!

I'm in my second master architecture and finishing school at the end of june. I'm already busy with my Curriculum Vitae and portfolio but i'm not sure if i would add some specific information about workshops and lectures. One of my teachers said it is usefulto add the workshops i've attended during my education.
Not sure if its relevant information or not so i'm asking your opinion about adding workshop information and maybe the lectures (TED, school lectures etc), architectural bureau's i've visited(guided tour) and (architectural)citytrips i've did.
Would it really matters for a recruiter when looking at a CV?

Any other opinions are more than welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, 

Lucas

Feb 18, 16 6:09 am
Non Sequitur

No... it matters very little... in fact, I would see it as resume padding.

CV & portfolios are intended to be a representation of your skills and achievements, not a grocery list of of participation "medals".

Feb 18, 16 8:41 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Only if it's relevant to work (i.e. professional workshops on technical information, school ones on a skill -model making, drawing, software-).  Note that unless it's a well known one, they're not impressive and will be taken as padding as Non Sequitur already noted.

City trips, lectures, etc are things to keep in mind for an interview as they may be useful as a 'bonding' tool.

Feb 18, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Don't overlook the use of bonding/common ground. Talking about the Cubs with the recruiter at a college job fair helped me get in the door at the firm I interned with during school (I'm a Reds fan, but we talked baseball). Mentioning that I was from my hometown (Columbus, IN) was a hook that got me in the door at my current job (a few Ball State alumni/Indiana natives that have visited).
Feb 19, 16 4:42 am  · 
 · 
LucasV

Good thoughts! makes a lot of sence...

Thanks for the opinions !

Feb 22, 16 6:02 am  · 
 · 

Portfolio is a valid concern but IF you can state in your cover letter that you are willing to work for free or for minimal amount & you are willing to extend long hours... i think a lot of employers would be willing to hire you at first glance.  Sad to many but true.

Feb 22, 16 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: