Archinect
anchor

building materials

archaganik@gmail.com

Can someone please tell me what these vertical black lines are going up the building, they are about 4 inches wide and made out of rubber or silicone. Thanks.

Feb 9, 16 2:13 pm
JLC-1

that's the glue line where they put the parts of the building together

Feb 9, 16 2:24 pm
ivorykeyboard

it's an expansion joint 

lol @ JLC-1

Feb 9, 16 2:28 pm
curtkram

4" sounds like a bit much.

my guess is it's a wabo weatherseal.  as jlc says, they're used to glue parts of the building together.

Feb 9, 16 2:31 pm
JLC-1

yeah, looks like a 2 3/4" wabo seal

Feb 9, 16 2:38 pm
PrincetonArchitecture

Its a wall expansion gap to prevent cracks from traveling far. The gap is sealed with a silicon sealant to keep the elements out.

Jul 4, 17 11:26 am
starrchitect

Expansion joint. Seeing how wide they are, it's possible this building is in a geographic zone with heavy seismic activity.

Dec 25, 17 11:12 pm

The top is likely a seismic isolation joint, typical where two different wings of a building meet. they can be 4 or more inches. I worked on  project in Alabama with a huge 6" seismic isolation joint right through the proposed lobby/entry area

The bottom is a typical masonry expansion joint for thermal expansion typically every 20-30' and where materials change or turn corners 1" is common sometimes 1/2".

This is a fun question, thanks for posting it!

Over and OUT

Peter N

Dec 26, 17 1:54 pm
randomised

That masonry expansion joint looks horrible.

Dec 27, 17 1:14 am
muhammadhazim

hai help me to fill in this survey thank you https://goo.gl/forms/tfzH39cR2...

Jul 24, 18 5:17 am
edpo

guys, you can find all the answers here: 

www.supplies-express.com

Sep 24, 18 6:21 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: