Archinect
anchor

case study research on house: meaning and use

jessica

Hi everyone,

I'm a postgraduate research student from Uni of Newcastle (Aust). My thesis revolves around the effects an architect has on the clients perception/understanding & use of architecture and in particular in the house (architecturally designed). I'm interested at the changes (or no changes) that take place after the design process.

In my thesis, I borrow concepts from sociology research such as Bourdieu's Habitus & de Certeau's bricolage/tactics. My proposition is that users have the capacity to manipulate the house (in which the architect imposes his ideals) and insinuate his acts and desires to adapt to his own interests. I'm exploring the notion of change/no-change in the meaning and use of the house from the client/user and the tactics of manipulation that are employed.

I'm about to begin data collection through case study methodology and am wondering if anyone knows of any houses that are particularly relevant to my topic of study? I was looking at investigating two houses by Sean Godsell (Carter/Tucker & Kew house) but Sean's busy workload does not permit him to be interviewed at this stage. The reason I chose the two houses was that they were documented in a video at the time when the houses were first occupied so talking to the users now would allow me to determine if there have been any changes in their understanding and use of the house.

So the criteria for the case studies would have to be houses that allow me to document and map changes and to be within Australia too. I would really appreciate any help I can get here! Thanks.

Cheers
Jess

Feb 7, 05 5:40 pm
a a i b

Did anything ever become of this? -- a terrifically interesting (and difficult) idea.

Jan 14, 08 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: