Archinect
anchor

where do (male) architects buy clothes?

e909
we could get Brad Pitt to be our spokesman

what's in it for me? :)

Feb 10, 05 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

How is it that so many people are so interested in this thread (no pun), whereas the threads I post about architecture just stagnate :(...

Feb 11, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra
http://www.dickies.com/web/default.asp
Feb 11, 05 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
e909

now i remember trying Banana Republic once. i tried on the most likely pair of pants, but it was too baggy. also the cloth was thin. and slightly pricey.

Feb 12, 05 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

as long as somebody sweats for me...i'm down.

Feb 13, 05 1:05 am  · 
 · 
betamax

i'm sorry, that was terrible, i was only kidding, completely tasteless comment there, how can i live with myself...

i'm going to the GAP to drown my sorrows in some fucking lamb's wool.

Feb 13, 05 1:06 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Goodwill is another easy score...weekly new goods that are sometimes rare and almost always unique...and your helpiing give people in need a job.

Feb 13, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Suture
very architectural wear
Feb 13, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

have you tried the bow tie? Find them at an estate sale or something....but if your in the midwest try marshall fields at sale time - they usually have good prices on high end stuff every few months.

Feb 13, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

suture love those puffy shirts.

Feb 13, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

architects going to a brandname department store sale on the econd floor.

Feb 13, 05 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

..and coming down, after the sale. everyone is happy.

Feb 13, 05 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
sam sung

There already is a FABA (For Architects by Architects) of sorts—check out Joe Day's Dayware. From the website: "Dayware is clothing for artists and design professionals; comfortable, sturdy, monochrome."

www.dayware.com

Joe Day teaches at SCI-arc.

Feb 14, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hope he doesnt teach fashion design. just by some of those janitor jumpsuits and be done with it.

Feb 14, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Or Philippe Starcks Good Goods...

Feb 14, 05 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i used to buy t.shirts in winter sale at Guggen and Moma, but one day i realized ppl took it very seriously if i wear a Frank O. G. t.shirt that costed me 3 bucks.... so now i stick to H&M jeans, cheap n fits me perfect n no one really take them as a political or design-oriented statement

Feb 16, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
e

you should see some of my friends react to my archinect "architecture sucks" tee. some of them get quite offended. i do nothing but laugh and say "come on, we all know most architecture does suck."

Feb 16, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah the t.shirts can b a very strong statement setter...its ridulous how serious some ppl take their message.... why cant we react like that to trhe messages on girls t.shirts...or why they dont react like that in the (in)famous FBI (female body inspector) t.shirt???

Feb 16, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

i wear a robe and keep my pockets full of pens

Feb 16, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

that's suppose to be funny???

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Feb 16, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

i cant believe how metrosexual architects have become!

Feb 16, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

join the struggle while you may
the revolution is just a t shirt away

Feb 16, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Bula

"i cant believe how metrosexual architects have become! "

When were we not? We are probably largely responsible for the creation of that term. We need a few highly respected lumberjack looking architects to break this stereotype.

Feb 16, 05 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

oh and dont forget those silly glasses. shun the technological invention of contact lenses, lets all look sexy. (like our buildings)

Feb 16, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

VADO RETRO.... actually TOROLAB|Raul Cardenas (arch/design/art office in TIJUANA/SN DIEGO), have a whole statement and project based on urban phenomena and social impact of the t.shirts and their messages...

it is, in fact, the T-SHIRT revolution...

Feb 17, 05 8:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my fave t: "feminist chicks dig me"

Feb 17, 05 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

i saw torolab speak in mexico city... i dug the homeless pack that folds into a cardboard box-plastic bag that kept you safe while you slept on the mean streets of tijuana.

Feb 17, 05 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

wednesday is black turtleneck day.

Feb 23, 05 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

*bump!

I need clothes! Site visits are ruining my clothes - I have to go shopping!!

Oct 3, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

why don't you get yourself some of those black glasses too. then you can really be part of the herd of sheep.

Oct 3, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I like the styles at H&M and Express Men, but I can't seem to find anything at those stores that fits me... Maybe I need to hit the gym.

I really like Kenneth Cole, but that stuff is usually out of my price range... My spiffy interview shoes are Kenneth Cole, though, as well as my belt and other accessories. Sometimes I find good Kenneth Cole stuff on clearance, though.

Filene's Basement has been a steady source of cheap clothing for me, and every so often I come across a good sale at Macy's.

Lately I've discovered Old Navy, and I've been stocking up on some casual clothes there.

My main problem, though, is that I have Fifth Avenue taste and a Canal Street budget.

Oct 4, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
godori

thrift stores

Oct 4, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I hear you LIG.

For me Filene's Basement, H&M, and Express are feast or famine. I usually always end up getting something at J.Crew and Banana Republic. FCUK and Kenneth Cole are great at the end of season sales. Thomas Pink is where I buy my rewards to myself.

Oct 4, 07 12:47 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

i wear cheap tshirts, sandals and $25 jeans to work. i've still never run into any 'dress in all black' architects. then again i've never worked in NY.

Oct 4, 07 8:53 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Cyberoptix Tie Lab - Go here for the coolest ties I've seen in awhile.

I especially love the Concealed Weapons collection.

Oct 4, 07 9:00 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Oct 4, 07 9:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

lib, finally ties i won't be ashamed to wear! thanx! i am getting the weapons collection..gas masks, gas attack.....sweet

Oct 4, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 

LiG like you I find most of the stuff at H&M and Express are for men with narrow shoulders and even narrower waistlines. I did find a great pair of trousers at Express, that I've had for years now despite that they aren't kosher enough to wear out in public

Oct 4, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 
med.

More like ... How do male architects AFFORD clothing.

Oct 4, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
4arch

US median income is $48,201. Median income for architects is $60,300. I don't see the problem here.

Oct 4, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 
cf

My church, the friendly neighborhood outlet mall.

Oct 4, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

$60k doesn't buy a lot these days if you live in any metropolitian area. Average person I see working around me.

- 18,000 taxes (30%)
- 18,000 rent/mortgage (1500/mo)
- 6,000 living expenses (500/mo groceries, etc.)
- 6,000 auto (500/mo gasoline, maintenance, insurance, etc)
- 6,000 debt (500/mo student loan, cc debt, car, whatever)
= 6,000 for everything else

I know a lot of people in this situation. None living extravagantly. Sure you can cut here or there, but bottom line is that $60k is not "living well" unless you live in Alabama. At least there you get your fertilizer free.

Oct 4, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

the sweater: christmas present

the tee underneath: the north face

the vest: given by my office

the jeans: kirkland signature (costco)

the sox: kirkland signature (costco)

the shoes: nike trail runners (my bro in law works at soldier field and gets these things free)

the boxers: old navy

the glasses: versace

Oct 4, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

ha! good idea:

shoes: aldo
socks: jcrew
pants: macy's
shirt: sears
undershirt: marshall field's (now macy's)
glasses: d.o.c.

who knew i was such a product of the mall?

Oct 4, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wow... I think everything I'm wearing right now is from either Macy's or Old Navy. Except my watch, which is from Diesel.

Oct 4, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

goodwill

Oct 4, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

today, at this very minute i'm wearing...

shoes: boat shoes from payless for $39.99
pants: not applicable
underpants: classic briefs from walmart for 3 for $15.34
shirt: fancy stripped mosimo polo from target for $14.99
wristwatch: brown leather strap timex from walgreen's for $49.95

total expense: $130.27

i obviously save lots of money by avoiding socks and pants. admittedly, i feel somewhat guilty for supporting all these big box retailers...but at least i ride the bus there rather than driving a car.

and that's how you dress like a starchitect while living on an interns wages

hmmm...maybe i could do a series of these with upcoming features like: how to eat like a starchitect while living on an interns wages or how to drink like a starchitect while living on an interns wages or how to holiday like a starchitect while living on an interns wages, etc.

Oct 4, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

puddles your island has a payless, walmart, target, and walgreens?

Oct 4, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

shoes: Kenneth Cole
socks: Dollar store
pants: Old Navy
shirt: some French designer
undershit: none
glasses: none
watch: none
boxers: old navy

Oct 4, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i guess that i should have said that i buy it all online because providing the links obviously isn't obvious enough for a retarded booger eating mental cripple like le bossman. shit man, do i have to draw a picture for you too?

Oct 4, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: