Archinect
anchor

Need portfolio feedback

threadkilla

Fellow archinecters!

I've spent a lot of time on my online portfolio since graduation / while looking for a job. I've had pretty good feedback from friends, but I would like to get some unbiased opinions about the interface, image sequence for projects, etc... Since I don't have a job yet and want to have my work be well represented. If anything seems broken, I would appreciate details about your browser and screen resolution.

here's the link

thanks for your time

Jul 18, 11 10:01 pm
metal

man this is a website....

work looks nice though

Jul 19, 11 9:49 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "man this is a website...."  It's not one of those issuu-style clickable paged pdfs, but is that what people expect when they look for an online portfolio of work? I don't mean to sound agitating, I'm just wondering what potential employers are looking for, what somebody going through hundreds of job applications might respond to...

Jul 19, 11 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I like it.

I like the emphasis on process. You clearly illustrate how you came about to your design solutions. The scrolling dow format lets the work speak for itself without use of any web gizmos. Some of the images are too compressed (especially 'design' part where text becomes blurry). I'm not too crazy on the emphasis on the year of each project. It could still be shown, but perhaps downplayed a bit. Smaller font could do the trick.

The only thing I don't like is the polka dot background. I feel like I should be holding a teddybear and wearing my pajamas to view this ( I'm in my pajamas holding my teddybear right now, but still...).

So now you have a website! It's one of the things that you'll need. I find issuu irritating, but it helps one preview a publication that's meant to be printed. I'm sure you'll have a printed version of your portfolio, and thus a PDF of it as well. It helps to have a few versions of the PDF file. One at only a couple of pages, one with under 10, and a long version. You never know what a potential employer will ask you to submit. 

Having a good website always helps. Which you have (minus the polka dots).

Jul 19, 11 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

wow, looks great man. Love all the diagrams.

That Pandora's Box project is pretty disturbing. Keep that one away from the kids.

Jul 20, 11 7:12 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Enjoyable website, especially since your work showsa good sensitivity for the graphic display of projects. To me, the polka dots work well with that. I'd even try to put a bit more emphasis on this, it is attractive for many offices for different reasons. 

Other than that, I like the way you show the process of your designs, in such a website that's more important than the actual design, I'd reckon.

One practical thing that I don't really like: everything is directly accessible on the website, in stead of your CV - for that I'd have to download a PDF. Either make this web-orientated, too, or add a downloadable PDF with a portfolio-booklet and whatnot, too.

The website is a good addition to a sleek, graphically strong portfolio as an introduction. I'd prefer to send a portfolio (either in hardcopy or PDF), and add a link to the website "for further reference". But definitely nice work, hope it helps you find a nice job...

Jul 20, 11 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i know that many places don't want to have to navigate to a website.. but it is nice to have one if people are interested..  i think it'd be good if you had a downloadable pdf on there (if you don't already).  but in general i think a send-able pdf is the way to go.

Jul 21, 11 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Thanks for all the feedback! It's really good to know what needs tweaking, and what seems to work.

One of the reasons I haven't put up any pdf's of the projects is because I don't necessarily want to give people access to what is essentially editable, copy-able, lossless linework. But you're all right, it's probably best to have download options for people to see samples without being online for it.

I figured the dots would be a bit divisive, but they're there for a reason. Guess I'll have to add something to let people control them a little.

Jul 21, 11 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

The engineer half of me wants to point out that your concrete seems to be undergoing various states of shear failure in your Tech 1 project :)

Overall it looks very nice. The only thing different that I can add to the conversation is that I may be the only nerd who looks for window sections, but I was happy to see an earnest attempt at waterproofing- thumbs up from me for that. 

Your graphics appear to be in control. I actually don't mind the dots- I think that they provide a slight contrast (and balance) to the rectangular project frames. It also reminds me of the leather in a high end sports car- although that is probably not what you were looking for.

Jul 21, 11 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Lackey

Ivan, I dig your stuff.  Looks unique and colorful in an Alsop way, which is rare it seems.

With your CV, I like your fonts and general theme but to me it reads WAY too dense; not enough white space separating stuff vertically.  You've already tipped over onto a third page, might as well space stuff out and use the entire thing instead of just the top.  The tops of the pages read most dense to me, what with your bolded name, address, and education all crumpled into a 2" row.

Jul 21, 11 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"but to me it reads WAY too dense; not enough white space separating stuff vertically"

Needs more polka dots!

Jul 21, 11 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: