Archinect
anchor

how do you drown your sorrow?

peachy

frustrated architect...
any positive advice on how to drown my sorrows and clear my head?

Jan 26, 05 5:11 pm
post-neorealcrapismist

i spend a quiet evening with my two buddies jack danials and jim beam. They always cheer me up.

Jan 26, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

i used to spend time with my buddy Jose Cuervo, but we had a falling out.

Jan 26, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
A

My friend bought this house as a fixer-upper. After a few drinks we marked out all the walls with no plumbing and proceeded to punch holes and tear them to peices. Worked for me after a long week.

Jan 26, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
TED

welcome to the couch.....

you cant be that frustrated !!...... there are always things here that make your situation look just that little brighter.... .

Jan 26, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction
silverlake

lots of booze...

if its midday and i don't want to feel like a raging alcoholic, i go for a long drive and check out something inspiring...

Jan 26, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

since my sorrow usually involves a shitty project at work, i go home and do some furniture design or build, or sketch till i am exhausted on something of my own.

Jan 26, 05 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

momentum...yeah that's me, too. i also like to immerse myself in stupidly dense English literature.

Jan 26, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I just rented Office Space and popped it in.

Jan 26, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
e

has anyone see the bbc series called "the office?" fuggin hilarious.

drowning my sorrow in the morning >> going on for a run.
drowning my sorrow in the evening >> going on for a beer.

Jan 26, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Paul, that link doesn't work for me.

Jan 26, 05 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

refresh this page and try it again. you need to have the quicktime plugin.

Jan 26, 05 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

got it, thanks

Jan 26, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
ConstructionKid

Well I'm still in school but I like to build tooth pick bridges to get rid of stress.

Jan 26, 05 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

Jack with coke

and

anonymous (but protected) sex.

Jan 26, 05 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean
catharsis
Jan 27, 05 2:54 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Lots of sports during the week, go for a run every day before or after work, racket sports such as squash are also a good way for me to evacuate stress and frustration. I also recommend reading like a maniac.
otherwise there's also the usual combination of class A drugs and booze which also seem to do the trick for me, although this forum is probably the wrong place to advertize that kind of stuff.

Jan 27, 05 4:48 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Bossa nova, belgian beer, sleeping.

Jan 27, 05 5:42 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

watercolor with wine relaxes me enough to continue showing up to the office on mondays

Jan 27, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

e, i just finished watching seasons 1+2 of the office... still have to see the xmas special though, which i hear is funnier than ever.

great show...

BTW peachy, i don't drink... best advice i can give is to get yourself a personal project to distract you from the frustrations and duldrums of your career. buy a house to fix up or something.

Jan 27, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i organize my music collection in elaborate ways.
figure out some sort of art project.
drink scotch or red wine.
join organizations that focus more on my community rather than myself.

Jan 27, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i like to organize my music autobiagraphical. for example if i want to listen to the birds i have to remember that in october of 1986 i bought the album for somebody but didnt give it to them becasue of personal reasons

Jan 27, 05 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

something like that, rob.

Jan 27, 05 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

img]http://ydr.com/nmf/db-ref/photos-db/bigger/3916.jpg[/img]

Jan 27, 05 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
Jan 27, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

cheap beer and Merle Haggard.

Jan 27, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
jaymalee

ditto. music and booze.

Jan 27, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Oana S.

beer... and then some more beer.
and then curse architects and architecture.
then take a day off (at least my head does) and watch sitcoms. really bad sitcoms.
u'll embrace work the next day...

Jan 27, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

Patrick,

1) Malbec is awesome! Try some of the "Trapiche" label's "oak cask aged" Malbec. Greatest deal ever for about 6 bucks/ 4 by the case. Great with a winter;s hearty pot roast.

2) Could you pass on your Ukranian connection's address? As i said before, i am an All-Pro at anonymous (but protected) sex and a few people owe me some shiny pennies!

3) Ali G rocks but also dial in the Chapelle Show

Cheers!

Jan 27, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

With a delicious cranberry smoothie.

Jan 27, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Peachy,

Make sure don't use the western idea of consuming something in order to make you feel better. In other words drinking, eating, buying, enterteinment, etc. etc...........I you truly want to drown your sorrows you need to let go, you need to abolish, adios, bounce, can, chill, chuck, clear, deliver, disabuse, disburden, disembarrass, disencumber, ditch, dump, eighty-six, eject, eliminate, eradicate, expel, exterminate, extinguish, extirpate, fire, fluff off, free, heave-ho, junk, kiss goodbye, kiss off, liberate, make free, purge, release, relieve, remove, roust, scrap, send packing, shake off, shed, throw away, throw out, toss out, unburden, unload, and/or uproot. Do any of the above just don't put inside.....I hoe this makes sense. Good luck.

Jan 27, 05 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
TED

abra, is that you at your desk? i thought you wore glasses.

Jan 27, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
peachy

have thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses.
really funny stuff, didn't know so many people had a cure for this common ill.

tectonic, i will try it your way soon...

thanks.

Jan 27, 05 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

well i was going to say alcohol , and i am glad that im not the only one that drinks . anyway peace

Jan 27, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

hey i second the belgian beer. lambic framboise, yum yum.

also the office series on dvd is good too.

i started watching this show called Peepshow on BBC america. it's greeeat!

Jan 27, 05 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

alas my sorrows have learned to swim

Jan 27, 05 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Stop listening to U2 man! It’ll just bumb you out worse.

Jan 27, 05 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

where's my nick drake? o here it is under the elliot smith thanks

Jan 28, 05 6:35 am  · 
 · 
doberman

vade retro, your post just made me giggle, wit also helps... cheers

Jan 28, 05 6:59 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have a weekly volunteer job.

Jan 28, 05 8:00 am  · 
 · 
A

[img]http://j-walkblog.com/blog/images1/planning.jpg[\img]

Jan 28, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
A
Jan 28, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

wading in after V.Woolf (river): a watery 'stream of thought'...mediated by introspection and mad bad voices. Hart Crane (sea) prefers the spontaneous more epically American splash: 'I can remember much forgetfulness.' Forgetfulness.
Herman Hesse's prodigy(lake): beyond the postpubescence working class and the pallid child scholar: still (petrified fragility), deathly (an unhealthy caucasian), englufing, soothing.

What it means to drown in a river, in a lake, or in a sea or in a tub (forever Mommy's boy/Daddy's girl).

Jan 28, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

wading in after V.Woolf (river): a watery 'stream of thought'...mediated by introspection and mad bad voices. Hart Crane (sea) prefers the spontaneous more epically American splash: 'I can remember much forgetfulness.' Forgetfulness.
Herman Hesse's prodigy(lake): beyond the postpubescence working class and the pallid child scholar: still (petrified fragility), deathly (an unhealthy caucasian), englufing, soothing.

What it means to drown in a river, in a lake, or in a sea or in a tub (forever Mommy's boy/Daddy's girl).

Jan 28, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

drink gin. it will make you so bitter and depressed that you will realise you were actually very happy to start with. Then go to sleep and start work as normal after that.
twice a week should do it.
its terminal at this stage- no cure as yet.

Feb 2, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
norm

mushrooms - nothing can bother you when you're on shroooms.

Feb 4, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

i hang out with my friend dan k. you might know his girlfriend mary jane.

Feb 4, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

sleep, lots of sleeping

Feb 4, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
shoja310

sex

Feb 5, 05 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: