Archinect
anchor

how was our day?

go do it

May 14, 15 11:54 pm

Lets see ... planted some stuff in the garden, had lunch with my Buddhist monk friend from Tibet, got the subs lined up to finish some things on the project before Memorial Day, got my new website up and running and sorted out the new email server, talked to my daughter in Providence for 1/2 an hour, confirmed an order for tools from Japan - no rakes in the face today. 

But there's always tomorrow!

May 15, 15 12:08 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yesterday.........16 hrs of what the fuuuuuuck!-holy cheese whiz-god damn magic-dimensions!!!!! last 8 hours - ok we cool - carry on...........today - you know those 15 jobs you didnt work on due to fuuuuuuck magic dimensions- happy Memorial Day weekend!!!

May 15, 15 6:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Magic dimensions?

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_article_image/ksyixsora7ebrfuqgmky.jpg

Let's see... sprained two fingers on left hand and the office coffee supply has run low. Besides that, my wife has pushed me back into painting.

May 15, 15 8:21 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

is magic dimensions when you measure an as-built and find you're 2' off somewhere?

i learned in physics space doesn't work that way.  i learned from leasing agents that it does.  not sure who to believe anymore.

May 15, 15 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think magic dimensions are when you dimension using the software and then someone overrides it to make it say something else.  

May 15, 15 9:16 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

^That's the sign of a quality firm!

May 15, 15 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^^ those people are the worst.

May 15, 15 9:49 am  · 
 · 
toosaturated

maybe you should take notice of the "not to scale" disclaimer..obviously

May 15, 15 9:54 am  · 
 · 

Magic dimensions exist in the alternate universe inhabitated by clients, where 40 feet of kitchen appliances fits in 30 feet of space.

May 15, 15 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

"Can you make the overall footprint smaller but make each room bigger?" direct client quote. 

May 15, 15 10:23 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I prefer the term "dimensional void".  That sounds way more interesting.

May 15, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha...funny shit! and memorial day weekend is next week!...........in this particular peculiar case in which a perfect mock-up of the future space within a new building, we are in existing building,must be perfect and match the yet to come with a whole slew of additional complexities making this job even more absurd/interesting....2 gcs on 2 projects but some same subs some not,etc............the millwork "grew" while the framing stayed same and most of us thought we must match the millwork because thats what it will be in the other new building and lord knows how many times things changed etc.....mind you thr best framer, like the boss framed it, everyonez A-team is in this.....we were about to reframe 100lf of wall, move sprinkler heads, chop block to move pipes for 3.5 inches in millwork.....long story short - 3.5 inches removed from millwork......rake to face

May 15, 15 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Attended a 3rd-party envelope audit on one of our buildings. Another architect from a different firm was there on behalf of the owner. I was thinking "this is bad" until I remembered that the other architect is getting sued into oblivion right now on multiple fucked up projects.

Not sure if I stepped on a rake or not. I did, however, have a major awakening regarding shitty details that might have slipped past my notice, and promised myself to never let that happen again.

May 15, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It was great, I found out that I have some sense of entitlement. Thanks, curt!

May 15, 15 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I must say been a good week a blonde Danish Friend has been visiting Ms. Snook and myself this week.  Went to buy beer and wine and ended up with a nice bottle of wine and  a six pack of  "Blonde Hooker Ale".  Told that guy at the check out I had my two blonde hookers and I thought he was going for fall over backward.  She just looked at me and gave me a big smile....This particular beer is brewed in the Hooker Brewery, which is located in Hartford, CT.  Thomas Hooker was the founding father.....so we have :  "Hooker Blonde Ale"....They also have the "Hooker Parade" every year in celebration of the founding of Harford.....I have never been but it is known as a wild ass day and night.

May 15, 15 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Paid off my car loan today as well as my husband's car loan and his student loans.

(picture didn't show up, dangit)

May 15, 15 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

wow.  congrats tintt.

May 15, 15 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

thanks, bro. 

May 15, 15 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

pronounced - bruh!......bowling_ball did the architect being sued become the owners bitch somehow?

May 15, 15 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

*fist bump*

May 15, 15 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

damn dude! not so hard, you cracked my knuckles!

May 15, 15 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Olaf, nothing like that. The potential buyer (developer ) trusts the other architect for his opinion. I can't fault that, it's not my choice.

it's been 12 hours and many, many, many beers. Happy weekend everybody.

May 16, 15 3:49 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

bowling_ball  you paint a very different picture now, every successful architect I know has been sued....12 hours, 2 beers an hour - rollin'!

at the end of my 2 hour session with the foreman and carpenters trying to resolve the magic dimensions I finally got to use a line from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

after foreman thanked me for being a Gentlemen  I said -

"It's been emotional" - Big Chris

May 16, 15 8:45 am  · 
 · 

started off by getting rear ended! luckily no serious damage...

May 18, 15 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

My day started at a site meeting, where the contractor PM cut me off very abruptly. To which I replied "If you ever cut me off again, I'll punch a fucking hole in your face."

And I meant it.  And it felt gooooood.  

May 21, 15 2:39 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

getting rear ended and punching holes in people's faces.....man what type of culture is this? haha......i love the PM types who only know how to say one thing "i don't care,get it done" - not that they have any idea what getting it done actually means......i imagine bowling-ball this PM may be like that?

May 21, 15 7:02 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Olaf, that's pretty much it. When he thinks we should move on, he very loudly proclaims "NEXT!" Even if its not his meeting.  Grrrrr.

May 21, 15 8:26 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

very similar but not a PM, a buyer whose day job was developing was hounding my client and i daily....i drove all night for vacation, did a quick angry quip on my phone noting i was on vacation but would assist and the guy laid into it me with colorful wording...damn near lost my shit,but calmly put the phone down, detached myself from the interweb and found some beer.... i don't get these douche bags, what is their malfunction? "Next!" "i don't care,get it done" "thats what i thought, whats the problem".....they never actually say anything of any value come to think of it.....just a lot of senseless yelling........long day getting longer.....eveyone wants everything prior to 3 day weekend.

May 21, 15 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

I dropped an egg in a too-hot pan this morning and a drop of butter flew up and burned me. I'm now sporting a very small bandaid on my neck, so it looks like I've been attacked by a one-toothed vampire.

May 22, 15 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i started poaching eggs in the morning for the past couple weeks....

May 22, 15 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

curtkram i started at 430am this morning which is early enough to catch your ass poaching eggs.....missed like 5 deadlines and multiple crisis...good thing its a three day weekend i might be able to catch up.........NEXT

May 22, 15 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

The lathers started today but did not have the weep screed or proper flashing for around the chimney they will not finish today and will probably have to reschedule the inspector. 

Just when it was going good, right.

May 22, 15 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: