Archinect
anchor

Frankfurt

sewage

What's there to do in Frankfurt, Germany? I'll be there for a week doing a show, so I guess I'll only have time in the evenings.

Jan 13, 05 6:52 am
urbanisto

germany´s museum for Architecture is in frankfurt "am main",
which probably is the one you are going to.
(there is a frankfurt/oder at the border to poland)

the museum has a show on display for its 20th anniversary
sometimes they have nice models etc...
could be worth a look (wednesdays they open late)

-> DAM

Jan 13, 05 7:34 am  · 
 · 
sewage

Yes, I'm going to the 'am Main' one.

Jan 13, 05 8:56 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

you can tour goethe's house

Jan 13, 05 10:02 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

my best memory of frankfurt was to get on a train to berlin.

Jan 13, 05 10:34 am  · 
 · 
.ml

Near the DAM on Schaumankai street there is a museum made by Meier and one by Behnisch.

Don't forget to drink a cherry beer!

Jan 14, 05 6:33 am  · 
 · 
spaceman

Darmstadt, a small city just south of Frankfurt, has some interesting things to see. There is Matildenhoe, a group of buildings and houses in the Jugendstil style. I think there are a couple of buildings by Olbrich and at least one by Behrens. There is also the Landesmuseum, an odd collection that includes a significant amount of work by Joseph Beuys.

In frankfurt there are many museums, including the MMK by Hollein. It is ugly but has a good collection of modern and contemporary art. The Städel museum has a good collection including some old master works, and it has a nice gallery by Peichl.

Your visit to Frankfurt would not be complete without a visit to one of the apfelwein taverns in Sachsenhausen. I forget the name of the one I liked, but there are many in that neighborhood.

Jan 15, 05 1:17 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Birkhauser puts out these great architecture guides. They cover the 20th century so there is a lot of old modern stuff and seem more aimed at researchers than just tourists (small b/w pictures, short smart description, address)

Thy have one for Germany with a Frankfurt chapter. If you find some one who has one or in the library you could just Xerox that.

That will help out with the nerdy stuff. Then you’ll just have to find Dieter and ask when is the time when we dance.

Jan 17, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
juicebox

i hope it's not too late. here is one of the better apfelwein restaurants.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/f773/2/2edd/

be prepared to share a table with someone you've never met before--it's very common.

Feb 9, 05 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

kleihues' museum of pre- and early-history: don't miss it. a renov of a church ruin with a crazy addition. whether you like it or not, it's definitely an original.

behnisch's postal museum, near the architecture museum, I think. and meier's applied art museum is near there as well.

and then matildenhohe outside darmstadt, as someone else mentioned is really beautiful. behren's first architectural project. some of olbrich's most wonderful work. and all arranged in a planned environment together so that they complement each other beautifully.

also, near matildenhohe, there used to be a museum of braun product design very close.

Feb 10, 05 10:14 am  · 
 · 
addison_godel

Revive.... I'm spending a couple days in Frankfurt at the tail end of a long archi-tour, this is the only leg I haven't really fleshed out at all. Anyone have any additions to the things already mentioned?

Apr 30, 08 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

gimmie a day, i've got a list from my trip

Apr 30, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

While Frankfurt isn't known as a tourist destination (it's more of a small international business city) (in fact, most tourist dislike it) it's still a pretty cool place. Great mix of international and German culture.

Suggestions for things to see/do:

1) The Zeil is the obvious center of town pedestrian thoroughfare. Every chain store imaginable. Also just a really great linear public space.

2) While on the Zeil, go up to the roof deck of the Zeilgalerie (thin, vertical shopping mall) for a nice view of the area.

3) Go check out the skyscrapers. The Commerzbank is the only Foster building I've ever liked, but you can't get past the first floor on the inside. Instead, go to the MainTower where there is a really incredible roof deck on the 67th floor. It's the only skyscraper I've ever been to where you can actually go outside on the roof with nothing above you or holding you in except a railing. Incredible view.

4) If you cross the river go to the German Architecture Museum since it's an exemplary work by our friend OM Ungers.

5) Go check out Frankfurt University's new Westend campus. They haven't built much yet but they exquisitely renovated an old Hans Poelzig building (IG Farbenhaus) and it's very much worth seeing. If you go to the cafeteria in the adjacent building and pretend to be a student, you can get a good lunch for 2 Euros.

6) You could go bother Albert Speer Jr. in his Sachsenhausen office.

7) Frankfurt main train station is a great work of 19th century architecture

8) There's tons of other random attractions that are pretty decent, like the zoo and the botanical gardens.

9) I think some of the other museums by the DAM are done by famous people like Richard Meier

10) Drink some Apfelwein, oh i think there's something about a green sauce too

Why do I miss this city so much?

May 1, 08 12:33 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

Adolf Wagner - great food and drink. Located on Schweizer Strasse.
Recommend the Schnitzel with Green Sauce or the grilled pork leg.
(Say hi to Olli if you see him, kind of big round guy)

May 1, 08 2:24 am  · 
 · 
addison_godel

Great stuff, y'all. I normally sort of dismiss skyscrapers myself but that whole going outside on the roof thing sounds really fab. Will definitely check out the Poelzig, the train station, the Ungers (RIP)....

May 1, 08 8:56 am  · 
 · 
djsnoop88

There are also 2 musuem in the center, Museum of Modern Art (MMK Museum für Moderne Kunst) and the Schirn. These are in proximity of each other. Have fun!

May 3, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

Eisenman won a competition to do a village outside of Frankfurt in '92. I'm not sure if they ever built it.

http://www.rebstockpark-ffm.de/rebstockpark_eisenman_e.htm

Website was last updated in 2003.

May 3, 08 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

Also, the new EZB (European Central Bank) by Coop Himmelb(l)au is going up (as we speak, I think) outside of downtown at the site of the old Grossmarkthalle.

May 3, 08 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

Also don't forget the Goldstein-Siedlung village that gehry did there in '94 or so

http://archiguide.free.fr/PH/ALL/Fra/FrancfortLogGoldGe01.jpg

May 3, 08 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: