Archinect
anchor

Bad Studio Instructor?

2014March

I had to work in a group of two for this Spring semester. Although I had contributed well in the studio work, my instructor had always favored over my partner who was not so different in terms of work performance. The instructor did not give much attention to me, and for some instances, I was not treated equally and ignore my presence. I am not sure why such thing is happening. Do you have any thought or encounter situations like this?

Apr 29, 15 6:13 pm
chigurh

some people jive, some don't, your instructor didn't connect with you.. so what?  quit your whining, or do better work and kiss ass harder.  

c'est la vie.

Apr 29, 15 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

My thought is that you're attending grad school in the USA, and English is not your first language.

My assumption is that you're passive, quiet, and intimidated by, well, confident white males who speak fluent English, which is likely the description of your partner.

I saw numerous international classmates of mine fall behind because they weren't able to assert themselves in a competitive (studio) environment. Asserting yourself is the primary factor in bonding with your studio instructor. Showing determination and initiative to learn and improve will make them like you more, in turn garnering more attention from them.

You may have the thought that your tuition is paying the instructor to instruct you, and that your own level of assertion is unnecessary because it is their job to attend to every students need in a equal manner - maybe this is ideal, but this is simply not the case. In my opinion, the best designers make it known to others that they are the best (through their work's dialogue), and one way of doing this is to assert yourself infront of a group of people.

Studio isn't meant to be competitive, but the competitive students will have the best work.

Apr 29, 15 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

Have you talked to your studio partner about this? Do they notice the difference too, and if so what do they think about it? They may have a very different interpretation—they may  even resent you for making them do the majority of communication about the project. If they see it and agree with you, or only see it now that you've spoken up, then see what happens if they volley you the conversation once in a while. For example, if the professor is asking about a part of the project you worked heavily on, they could say "You know, I think March had an idea about that—what was it you were saying earlier, March?" which gives you not only an opportunity but a directive to jump in. At this point, you have to hold up your end of the bargain though and have something to contribute. 

Apr 29, 15 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: