Archinect
anchor

Engineer requests CAD files

emilianozapata

Hello all,

I have a client that his engineer is requesting my CAD file of the house that he is remodeling, I already send them the pdf's, but my client states that the engineer NEEDS the cad drawing so he can start to work on the engineering part.

This client of mine is very shady, and not a trustworthy person, so I'm not sure if he is telling the truth or just trying to get the cad file without paying me.

I have worked with other engineers before and they are fine with PDF's however its easier for them if they have the cad files, but not sure if they really NEED them like in this case.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Apr 28, 15 9:10 pm
JsBach

It is common to share files with other disciplines. But if the engineer is not under your contract, I could see why you would be concerned. If he owes you money, and has proven untrustworthy in the past, then you shouldn't be sending anything to anyone until you are paid.

Do you have a contract stating what and when you get paid, and what you are to deliver. Cad files, prints, pdf's, ect... should all be covered in your contract.

Apr 28, 15 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm with JsBach. If the engineer is not yours, then these are provided as a courtesy, however, if your client is a dick - which you should've fired long ago, if he hasn't paid you - then send a letter, stating that you will send a pdf, and when he pays you, then you will send an electronic file. If he balks, fire him.

Apr 28, 15 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I will share backgrounds w an engineer but generally strip out all extra info so they don't get anything more than necessary.

And if the client owes you-gotta get the $$ before sharing.
Apr 29, 15 8:01 am  · 
 · 
Brud-G

^^ ditto

Apr 29, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Zbig

Register the design with the copyright office. It's relatively cheap and will protect you if your design or elements of it get used elsewhere.

If the copyright is not registered, you get paid for your work. If the copyright is registered, you get paid for your work plus punitive damages.

Apr 29, 15 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I'm not sure if he is telling the truth or just trying to get the cad file without paying me

if it's in your contract to get paid for the cad files, just send him a bill and send the files with receipt of payment

Apr 29, 15 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: