Archinect
anchor

NCARB - 3 Year Duration Requirement

BulgarBlogger

I just saw that NCARB changed the rules again- changing the minimum experience requirement to 3,740 hours + (since I am in New York State) a 3 year duration requirement. I already completed IDP and am one exam away, but what in the world does the 3 Year duration requirement mean?

Apr 15, 15 1:31 pm

If you've already completed IDP, then the NCARB change has no effect on you. New York State requires a minimum of three years experience working under the supervision of an architect licensed to practice architecture in the state. This may or may not overlap with your IDP experience.

See: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/arch/archbroch.htm

Apr 15, 15 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/IDP2-Experience-Categories-Areas/Experience-Requirement-by-State.aspx

READ !!!!

CONTACT NY architectural licensing board. Follow their guidance.

"New York IDP (3,740 hours) and 3-year minimum duration requirement"

Apr 15, 15 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

ugh- balkins... you assume I don't read... I wouldn't be posting if I didn't read that already...

I have over the minimum 5,600 hours required and I am familiar with the NY requirements. All I am asking is what does the 3 year requirement mean? Does it mean you have to have worked for the same registered architect for 3 years?

Apr 15, 15 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

It doesn't say anywhere that you need to have worked for the same architect for three years. It just says that you need three years' experience working for architects registered in New York State. I'm not sure how much simpler it could be explained.

Apr 15, 15 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

ok.. I guess since I've been working in NY all this time I never thought of having my IDP hours approved by an architect not registered in NY... interesting...

Apr 15, 15 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Your good then.... just make sure you have 6240 hours of experience under a NY state licensed architect and that you have completed all your IDP training hours required.

Apr 16, 15 12:26 am  · 
 · 
3tk

I'm reading the board's site and it seems you just need 12 credits in their system (an accredited degree + 3 yrs exp is 12 credits, but there are other ways to add to 12...)

BulgarBlogger - there are architects in NY that work outside the state (or country) and are not registered in the state of NY; I believe the idea is that the NY board has decided they want to see that candidates are familiar with the local conditions.

Apr 17, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Does the 3 years mean working 3 years in that particular state? 

Apr 17, 15 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Read the administrative rules of the state board or call them. Get explicit answers. Okay?

Apr 17, 15 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

New York's rules differ in several areas from NCARBs' as to what qualifies for work experience credit.

1. Experience gained while a student does not count in NY.  This includes work during evenings, weekends, summers (even if full-time in the summers), and other vacations while you're completing a degree program as at least a half-time student.  There are some exceptions, on a case-by-case basis, if your employment at a firm made was responsible for your degree program taking longer than it would usually be expected to take.

2. Experience gained as a consultant to an architect or to a firm does not count in NY, even though it does for NCARB purposes.  Only experience earned as a legitimate, on-the-books employee with an employer who is paying into the state's worker's comp and unemployment counts in NY.  

3. The architect must be practicing legally, and if the experience was earned in NY it has to be in a firm type allowed in New York.  Some examples of illegal forms of architectural practice in NY are:  architecture firms with non-licensed partners, all LLCs, architects licensed in other states but not in NY who are working on projects in NY (this includes residential projects - they require a license in NY.)

The three years does NOT have to have been completed with the same architect, and it does NOT have to have been completed in NY or with a NY-licensed architect.  Experience gained working in another state with an architect practicing legally in that other state does count toward NY's experience requirements.

Apr 18, 15 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ NY is the most fascist state in US

Apr 18, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

No that's NJ

Apr 18, 15 10:17 pm  · 
1  · 

I don't know but they both are just about the same in that they are competing for that title in my opinion.

Apr 19, 15 2:43 am  · 
1  · 
JeromeS

Generally, I would agree but the fact NY allows for qualification without a Degree seems a whole lot more democratic.  NJ therefore is more fascist, architecturally at least

Apr 19, 15 2:09 pm  · 
1  · 

True. that's a good thing that NY does have an experience based path to licensure. NJ on the other hand....I would argue NY is less fascist in some aspect in regards to architecture than NJ.

I understand NY wants people with some experience in New York because New York does have some relatively unique architecture.... especially with the realm of over 1000 ft. tall skyscrapers - "super tall". 

New Jersey shares some of that environment. It has a bit to do with the NYC vicinity mindset.

Apr 19, 15 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Experience in NY is not a requirement - neither is working under a NY-licensed architect, if the experience is gained in another state.  All of the three years' experience can be earned outside of NY.  I was initially licensed in New York but gained nearly all of my 3 years' experience in other states - all of which was accepted by NY.

New York uses licensing applications as a way to identify firms practicing illegally in their state, and firms skirting labor regulations in their state.  It's not a concern with having experience with vernacular building types or with state codes - neither of those is a requirement.

Apr 19, 15 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
petitcomments

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the 3-year- minimum duration requirement is to address all the people who can input over-time hours towards IDP. There are some firms where it is possible to get as much as 80 hrs in a week. Do this every so often, and you'll meet the hour requirement in a lot less than 3 years. Similarly, a part-time worker who works consistently for 3 years doesn't meet the hour requirement. Thus they require both.

It doesn't seem like consistent firm or state during IDP is an issue.

Apr 21, 15 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
shji

I have a question regarding this. Does all 3 years of experience have to be recorded through NCARB? I have 3 years of experience but only 2.4 years of experience in NCARB because I worked for a contractor at one point. How does that work?

Nov 30, 17 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

How would they know you have 3 years of experience if you didn't record it with them?

Nov 30, 17 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

No all 3 years do not have to be recorded with NCARB. I had this same question and called NYSED who said it didn't matter what NCARB says as long as your employer can vouch for your having 3 years

Nov 30, 17 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
shji

Thanks thatsthat, that makes sense. Does that mean I need to contact my previous employers for confirmation or will NYSED contact them? Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought the NYSED asks for employer confirmation only on special cases.

Nov 30, 17 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Your best bet is to contact NYSED directly via phone or email and double check with them about what you need. They're pretty responsive actually. Every step of the way, I've had questions and they've been helpful and fairly polite about it.

Dec 1, 17 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
shji

thatsthat, thank you. I will do that.

Dec 1, 17 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: