Archinect
anchor

Modern Diploma Frame

duke19_98

I'm looking for a nice sleek frame for my diploma. I'm thinking brushed stainless might be nice. Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks.

Jan 3, 05 2:29 pm
setsquareboy

umbra has a few nice stainless steel frames (wood ones too), where the diploma/degree sits sandwhiched between glass. classy, funky, cheap and my friends always marvel at the thing just "hanging in mid air". man, i think they're morons. lol.

Jan 3, 05 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

http://www.umbra.com

Jan 3, 05 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I had mine framed custom with a white frame, set back from the glass (they mount it on mat board at the back of the frame, so depending on the depth...) It wasn't that expensive ($25)... It's kind of cheesy to do but it's actually a cool looking diploma because I happened to graduate the one year I think when Neil Denari has the diplomas re-designed at SciArc. When Moss came in they actually got rid of them and switched to something incredibly hideous that involves hand calligraphy and a gold star. My husband got one recently and it's too ugly to display :-)

Jan 3, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

hey rebecca!

Jan 4, 05 12:32 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i have a sci arc diploma with black helvetica lettering and my name with red press-on letters, also helvetica. it bears ray kappe's signature, w/ gold star. might be a collectable item by now. i am going to have it framed with maple wood.

Jan 4, 05 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell
potterybarn

has some nice frames that setsquareboy speaks of. i have one myself.

Jan 4, 05 1:13 am  · 
 · 
Suture

is this question a test meant to root out the awful people that should burn in hell for making their funny dark comments?

Because whats wrong with a $6.99 glass clip frame and pre cut mat from the local artist supply store?

but this prison chic accessory looks modern and metallic enough

and its squeezably soft

Jan 4, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Suture

to be more helpful, Target sells a nice metal frame with nice proportions and pre cut double mats.

its easy on the eyes and pocketbook

Jan 4, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

i was wrong...it was crate and barrel.

$14.95

Jan 4, 05 5:10 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

hey Israel!

Jan 4, 05 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Thanks guys. I think that the Crate and Barrel one is exactly what I'm looking for.

Jan 4, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98
This

frame from umbra is also nice.

Jan 4, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

I WIN!!!! just kidding. it's very nice frame.

Jan 4, 05 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Ok...I got my BARCH diploma out... I'm not sure about the rest of you guys, but our diplomas are 11x14. If I used the frames above I wouldn't have much of a border and no floating effect. I'm thinkingI might have to look at a speacialty place to find a frame the size I need. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help guys.

Jan 4, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Umbra makes larger versions of that frame - at least they do with the wood-framed one, perhaps not with the metal. They don't have everything on their website that is actually available. We have the black ones in 3 sizes in our office, including some that have 11 x 14 document in them (the frame is about 19" wide.) I think we bought these Umbra frames locally at "Bed Bath & Beyond" or some such place.

Jan 5, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I found the frames you were talking about at the container store. Can't seem to find them in metal. might just be a lost cause.

Jan 5, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

hmm, if you really want them in metal, you could faux finish them.. oh, maybe a nice oxidized copper patina.

haha, just kidding

Jan 5, 05 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Design geek-girl,

Perhaps Christopher Lowell could give me a few tips. I actually had to teach that crap when I was working in the paint department at Lowe's.

Jan 5, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

ew. sorry to hear that... didn't mean to dredge up any harsh memories.
heh

Jan 5, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: