Archinect
anchor

Modern Diploma Frame

duke19_98

I'm looking for a nice sleek frame for my diploma. I'm thinking brushed stainless might be nice. Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks.

Jan 3, 05 2:29 pm
setsquareboy

umbra has a few nice stainless steel frames (wood ones too), where the diploma/degree sits sandwhiched between glass. classy, funky, cheap and my friends always marvel at the thing just "hanging in mid air". man, i think they're morons. lol.

Jan 3, 05 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

http://www.umbra.com

Jan 3, 05 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I had mine framed custom with a white frame, set back from the glass (they mount it on mat board at the back of the frame, so depending on the depth...) It wasn't that expensive ($25)... It's kind of cheesy to do but it's actually a cool looking diploma because I happened to graduate the one year I think when Neil Denari has the diplomas re-designed at SciArc. When Moss came in they actually got rid of them and switched to something incredibly hideous that involves hand calligraphy and a gold star. My husband got one recently and it's too ugly to display :-)

Jan 3, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

hey rebecca!

Jan 4, 05 12:32 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i have a sci arc diploma with black helvetica lettering and my name with red press-on letters, also helvetica. it bears ray kappe's signature, w/ gold star. might be a collectable item by now. i am going to have it framed with maple wood.

Jan 4, 05 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell
potterybarn

has some nice frames that setsquareboy speaks of. i have one myself.

Jan 4, 05 1:13 am  · 
 · 
Suture

is this question a test meant to root out the awful people that should burn in hell for making their funny dark comments?

Because whats wrong with a $6.99 glass clip frame and pre cut mat from the local artist supply store?

but this prison chic accessory looks modern and metallic enough

and its squeezably soft

Jan 4, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Suture

to be more helpful, Target sells a nice metal frame with nice proportions and pre cut double mats.

its easy on the eyes and pocketbook

Jan 4, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

i was wrong...it was crate and barrel.

$14.95

Jan 4, 05 5:10 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

hey Israel!

Jan 4, 05 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Thanks guys. I think that the Crate and Barrel one is exactly what I'm looking for.

Jan 4, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98
This

frame from umbra is also nice.

Jan 4, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

I WIN!!!! just kidding. it's very nice frame.

Jan 4, 05 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Ok...I got my BARCH diploma out... I'm not sure about the rest of you guys, but our diplomas are 11x14. If I used the frames above I wouldn't have much of a border and no floating effect. I'm thinkingI might have to look at a speacialty place to find a frame the size I need. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help guys.

Jan 4, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Umbra makes larger versions of that frame - at least they do with the wood-framed one, perhaps not with the metal. They don't have everything on their website that is actually available. We have the black ones in 3 sizes in our office, including some that have 11 x 14 document in them (the frame is about 19" wide.) I think we bought these Umbra frames locally at "Bed Bath & Beyond" or some such place.

Jan 5, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I found the frames you were talking about at the container store. Can't seem to find them in metal. might just be a lost cause.

Jan 5, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

hmm, if you really want them in metal, you could faux finish them.. oh, maybe a nice oxidized copper patina.

haha, just kidding

Jan 5, 05 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Design geek-girl,

Perhaps Christopher Lowell could give me a few tips. I actually had to teach that crap when I was working in the paint department at Lowe's.

Jan 5, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

ew. sorry to hear that... didn't mean to dredge up any harsh memories.
heh

Jan 5, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: