Archinect
anchor

Interior wall surfaces for indoor pool

Kat

I'm looking for suggestions for wall surfaces for our indoor pool room. I've heard that painted drywall is out of the question because of the humidity, but is there anything similar to painted drywall that would work? The walls are wood-framed. I'm looking for different options as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dec 24, 04 4:24 pm
infernocp

I would use tile

Dec 24, 04 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

green board. plaster. tile.

Dec 24, 04 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Organic9

Green Board! In such a high humidity area, use Cement board as a Tile backer.

Dec 26, 04 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

Durock (cement board) with tile.

Dec 27, 04 2:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What are the walls of saunas surfaced in, cedar? redwood?

Or all copper.

(not similar to ptd gwb, I know)

Dec 27, 04 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Fiberglass reinforced plastic is ideal for the humidity levels and cleanliness needs, but not very good looking. The material itself isn't that ugly - its the joints. Can be considerable savings over tile if you have to go that way. Can be used on ceilings as well.

Dec 27, 04 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

organic...you can use greenboard as a tile backer in
showers where the water doesn't come in direct contact
with it...how is this different than a pool?

Dec 27, 04 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

perhaps you should use
-
an organically modulated idiosyncratic self-iterative liminal testicular blobby material that responds viscously to explorative probes
-
hence dislocation of topography through the digital film that reproduces images of the mathematical pattern of waves and airplpane flight paths that are always engaging around a knuckle like a ruber suit put through a maya script that wont end until someone pulls the plug o the computer or a vertical section is taken that will reveal the intricacy of the system overload
-
and that lumisty film by 3-m because pleats please used it and miyake knows whats best in his madnes of folded plate construction wrapped up in a red asiago cheese slice smothered with grape jelly and stuffed into the intersticial cravingsof your soul after you can
-
wax on wax off it and will register the temporality of the human body since its all about sex and boobage and skin because its so architectural like a system of scaffolding with fabric covering it up like some bone and muscle and skin sandwich that tastes like ecstatic architecture
-
and then you should string up some stainless steel mesh so that ivy can grow all over it since ytou have to get some greenwash in there else how will the architectural press ever pick it up unless you are short 500 bathrooms like morphosis and they vent into the occular conceptual prose
-
-
-
-
-
-
now bring me my mojito with a little umbrella in it! and turn on that dehumidifier and wash the soap scumm off the ceramic tile!

Dec 27, 04 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

and i forgot about maybe using backlit and edge lit resin in all different colors- im talking 4' by 8' by 2 foot thick self supporting inherently finished panels that you could tilt up like pre-cast concrete. press your body up to that sexy architecture.

Dec 27, 04 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

how'd you get the beans above the frank?

Dec 27, 04 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

it comes standard after you are on the 18th cup of joe and 5th line of yayo.

Dec 28, 04 2:36 am  · 
 · 
Organic9

Larslarson, I do not have a problem with using green board, as a tile backer, in most wet areas. However, in an enclosed pool area, where high humidity can be sustained over long periods, I feel that in this case, if installed properly, cement board sheets as a tile backer board, is a better choice.

Dec 28, 04 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

oh...i can see your point...i was thinking that showers are basically
as humid ...but as i rethink it cement board might be better...
i just wouldn't want to install it..and depending on how large the room
was wouldn't you have slight problems with the amount of weight?...
would you have to add more studs?

Dec 28, 04 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

can you just use a moisture resistant  GWB in this setting? Unfortunately don’t have clients with indoor pools yet... wish I did! 

Jun 24, 18 8:34 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_Marketing_Communications/united_states/product_promotional_materials/finished_assets/moisture-resistant-assemblies-en-SA934.pdf

Check out this PDF for details... I would give them a call. USG is very helpful.

Jun 24, 18 8:37 am  · 
 · 
kimcurthoys

I have an indoor pool in my basement.  All the walls are concrete.  Can I use Cedar for the ceiling?

Sep 29, 19 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
cre8tiv369

For the outside wall (at least half of the enclosure I recommend glass, like a solarium, the more glass, the better, you really have to bring the outdoors in and glass is the only material than can do it. For the inside wall(s) and partial ceiling I recommend closed cell spray foam in the walls and ceiling and stucco for the finish (a finish coat of epoxy stucco could be just the ticket). Stucco can take any shape an installer can trowel. Closed cell spray foam adds strength and is impervious to water in any form, seal the room with it (but add an air exchanger that transfers heat or cool to the incoming air, air exchanger is important because the chlorine will off gas and needs to be vented, that chlorine gas is also corrosive, but on the plus side, should discourage mold and mildew, but still needs to be vented). Stucco is also impervious to water and can be finished perfectly smooth or with any texture (and color) can be achieved, lighting choices are unlimited, and labor is literally a thousand times better and cheaper than tile and it will last longer and never need to be re-grouted. If you do go with tile or a combination of stucco and tile accents, use an epoxy grout (but still go with the closed cell spray foam, and use a cement board strips under the tile, the stucco and/or epoxy grout will have no problem adhering to the transition). The stucco will look great in a pool room and should be a great canvas for any water reflections, and if you find a stucco artist, anything is possible (think of relief murals like trees or vines or waves or clouds, or as kitschy as your client wants to be, etc)

Jan 22, 20 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: