Archinect
anchor

Fountain Pens

TickerTocker

Whats a good fountain pen to sketch with? Oh, and it should look cool too. And not cost a small fortune...

May 26, 04 5:49 am
Ainaa

A fountain pen thats nice to sketch with? Hrmm, I use a parker fountain pen and its never given me any problems during sketching. And it only cost me 30 bucks.

May 26, 04 6:21 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

the rotring art pens. ef or f

May 26, 04 6:32 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Well I like Mont Blanc - simply because of what they are, remarkably for sketching won't give that blot or scratch. But the down side is they are brutally expensive - minimum $120 on EBAY. However they are options, esp if you are in the uk, you can get a ROTING fountain "sketch" pen, either black or with a gun-metal finish. Really is tight, and they come in a octagonal shape for proper grip.

May 26, 04 8:24 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Oops that should read Rotring...sp error

May 26, 04 8:29 am  · 
 · 
J3

Although I have a Mont Blanc, I generally use my lamy pen for everything. They are inexpensive and work well.

May 26, 04 8:49 am  · 
 · 
threshold

If you're a lefty a fountain pen won't work out so well...

I agree with above - you can't go wrong with a Mont Blanc or a Parker. If you just want to give the fountain pen thing a test run and not yet spend a fortune buy an inexpensive Cross. Make sure you like the general feel, are not going to destroy the nib and don't mind filling it with ink (most of hteexpensive pens don't have the ink cartridges).

May 26, 04 8:52 am  · 
 · 
Dan

a Mont Blanc meisterstuck. my favorite

May 26, 04 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

I have a couple of Mont Blanc's but only use them at home or the office. I sketch with my yellow Lamy pen when I am not at home or in the office because I have a tendency to leave things on benches and such.

May 26, 04 10:58 am  · 
 · 
raul

I have a rotring(freeway) pen and an Aurora (ipsilon) fountain pens....both are inexpensive and good pens. another good brand for sketching would be Tombow.

May 26, 04 11:13 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I got a LAMY from me mates whilst in the UK (b-day present) and it's fantastic. I never actually thought of using it to sketch, but when I gave it a go, it's worked great. However the only downside is finding the ink cartriges.....I had to substitute parker cartriges into it.

As for the parkers....they are good pens, but make sure (if you can find and afford) you get the older ones....those are true quality

May 26, 04 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

For sketching, microns are best. ink is water resistant. mix with the waterbased ink of a microball for watercolor effect. $1 to $2.

May 26, 04 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
sam sung

I used to love my Lamy, but it sheared off where the pen screws together. I bought another that I also loved, but it sheared off where the pen screws together. Maybe Mont Blancs hold up better. Sorry to be such a crybaby.

May 26, 04 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
billy

love the parker 51, one of the most beautiful pens ever made

May 26, 04 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

i use a simple Pilot Hi-Techpoint V7. not too much ink applies at once, but enough comes out if you need to really darken.
i dont bother with the high end stuff. can't afford it...

May 27, 04 12:19 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Pilot Fineliner- black/blue- only until the head gets too rounded.
Sharpie- Fine point

May 27, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Robert Crumb uses the old arhitect standard: Kohinoor Rapidograph

May 1, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

those rapidographs can be pricy though....

May 1, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
ferplexion

Steve = spam.

May 1, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Yes they are pricey. They're not too bad if you just get one. But personally, I really love the sanford uni-ball pens. Very cheap. Very good. Very waterproof.

May 1, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
cSquared

Sanford uniball pens are the best. Also Namiki falcon felxible tip=various lineweights

May 1, 05 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Converters to use well ink are available for almost any major brand pen from Levenger.

May 1, 05 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

Lamy- Safari

only around $20-30. pen of choice at my school

May 2, 05 2:30 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

Man, i can't believe a thread i started a year ago is still alive...

I still haven't gotten around to buying a pen, by the way. I've been making do with my trusty rotring 2mm clutch pencil...though this is more a function of laziness and apathy than sheer choice.

May 2, 05 2:54 am  · 
 · 
architorturealist

i have been using the same LAMY for years...i think i have had it for 7 years now, it is a safari, well worth the 20 buck plus, maybe 20 bucks worth of ink (which some times is hard to find) but give it a go....

May 4, 05 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

Pilot Varsity are great, and cheap.

May 4, 05 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

for the Lamy Safari users, which thickness are you using? I'm tossed up between the broad and medium...

Feb 6, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

i got a medium for xmas... i haven't had a chance to use it for much sketching, but with the little bit that i have used it, i think that the broad would be better for sketching...

i suppose it depends on your sketching style really... i'm pretty aggressive when doing rough conceptual sketches and i think broad would be better... i'm think of picking up a broad to supplement my medium... then i could use the medium for writing and the broad for sketching....

Feb 6, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: