Archinect
anchor

Setting a freelancer rate as an architect.

sundanceuiuc

All,

What have all of you who are out on your own done to set your own rates as freelancers on jobs? A lot of architects obviously price full jobs as a percentage of construction cost, but how do you figure out your rate you charge potential clients?

My thought is that different phases of the job structure have different values (measuring = 'rate - 30%, DD / CDs = 'rate', etc), but a lot of people establish an hourly rate that is flat. This also works in many ways, especially if you can get an idea of what the job entails prior to stating an hourly rate (example: on day measuring job paying less than usual might be ok with you during a slow period, but no one wants to get a low rate for a long time (i.e. here is a light rate... what that's a three week assignment? son of a ..... )

>>>>

Anyway, how do you guys figure out what to charge the client? Market rates, obviously, but how does one figure market rate? I know what my old firm used to bill me out at, and I have an idea of the low end of what freelancer can get from a few friends anecdotally, but is there a science to it?

What's your thoughts on this ladies and gents? Thanks all

PS: Does this site help out? http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

Jun 30, 11 1:49 am
le bossman

A lot of my freelance work I do for other architects, which is different obviously.  I typically charge an hourly rate, estimate the amount of time this will take me, and calculate that as the overall cost estimate.  Sometimes there is an allocation made for going over in hours, other times not.  

Jun 30, 11 9:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: